Replacement Alternator costs needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ASurfacePro

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.surface.com
Just got a call from service advisor from local Toyota dealer bellevue) and it nearly blew me away.
5.5hr labor @195 hr
Reman alternator $730, new $760
Total was almost 2k

My past Lexus experience was much lower cost, blown away at what Toyota charges for this…

He said cant replace alt from below need to go from top?

Anyone able to confirm book time of 5.5 is accurate? Alternator cost sounds inflated also?

Thanks for help in advance🤘🏼

Last edited:
The price for the parts seems outrageous. I picked up an OEM Alternator for around $300 from an online Toyota Dealerships Parts website. I think the usual price was in the mid $400 and they had a 20% off sale. Figured it would be a good idea to have one on the shelf with the starter if/when they fail. If it’s not too late I’d shop around dealerships and Indy shops to get some labor quotes.

Don't take your truck to them. You need to remove the alternator by removing the power steering pump through the passenger wheel well and from underneath.

Too bad you're in WA, I'd help you out

I don't know the book time for replacing the alt but I spent 7 hours on it DYI. The second time I'd be faster but it would still be 3 to 4 hours.

Get it rebuilt at a good auto electric shop, they are still around. It takes about a day.

here is my thread of my alt replacement. Wasn't easy.

Also, regarding rebuilding the old one, that is an option as @Weedhopper says but when I went to my local shop that does this, the guy said while he could do it, his price was about the same as buying a new OEM alternator. (your dealer quote is stupid). Be sure to go OEM and ne careful with reman. The alt rebuild guy could rebuild cheaper with non Denso parts but he didn't recommend it. IMO, given how hard it is to replace, don't go cheap, go quality.

I did mine with radiator (and hoses, belts, pulleys, etc) because it's a very hard to-get-to location on the 3UR. Prices have gone up a lot to be sure.

Edit: The Olathe link above is a great price.

1661908379242.png

Thanks for everyone's replies. I've talked with my usual dealer which is about 15mi further from our house and he quoted ~2.5hr labor. Ill be talking with the service advisor in the morning to discuss it further.

Go to another place. Toyota of Bellevue used to be great when it was really Michael's where now there is a Dodge shop. Now it is a rip off fancy stuff cantering to people with money and mostly clueless, or better said taking advantage of people. Remember this is Bellevue and you are going to pay Bellevue prices. Is not much different at Subaru dealership next door.
I had better luck in Kirkland at least with parts. Not used their service.

Go to another place. Toyota of Bellevue used to be great when it was really Michael's where now there is a Dodge shop. Now it is a rip off fancy stuff cantering to people with money and mostly clueless, or better said taking advantage of people. Remember this is Bellevue and you are going to pay Bellevue prices. Is not much different at Subaru dealership next door.
I had better luck in Kirkland at least with parts. Not used their service.
Ive had great luck with Kirkland and it will likely end up there. I live in Issaquah and was worried I wouldn't make it to Kirkland or it would never would have gone to Bellevue. I'll have to pay $200 for their diagnosis and the oil change I already authorized but unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat, it'll be leaving tomorrow.

Is this another common issue? Seems early for an alternator at 115k?

Like with most things, its a bell curve. I would bet 115k is within the standard deviation or at least very close, but certainly on the early side of the bell.

Common enough, as w the starter.

I purchased a used starter and used alternator for like $140 total to carry with me for some peace of mind when on road trips…they have lifetime warranties. I figure if I’m home and can get an oem replacement, that’s what I’ll do…if I’m off in the boonies I’ve got something too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom