Replace Suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bluearbor.com
Ya, I know it is sacrilege but I don't have time for taking the 80 off road. Given that, what should I use to replace my crap suspension? It's all city/highway driving.

I've been told that Bilstein is the best, but I'm mainly interested in "bang for the buck." Is Bilstein worth it? What about the others - Monroe and cheapies?

When the suspension is worked on, what should get replaced? Absorbers and? The truck has 120k on it.

I've never gone through this, and I'm concerned the shop will figure that out. (insert obligatory :banana: :banana:)

Thanks for any help.

Ugh, don't mention the Tech game. I think the regional high schools would have outperformed. Tech has been pretty sharp last few years also.

OME - really? Some lift would be sweet, but I was under the impression those were more off-road oriented.

OME has a set of springs and shocks designed to replace to originals and maintain close to stock height. The ride will dramatically improve.

Replacing only the shocks will *not* get you a noticeable improvement.
-B-

So I need to do both? I borrowed this info from Slee's website: (thx btw)

Front Coil Springs
OME861 - $140.00 per pair
OME850 - $140.00 per pair
OME851 - $140.00 per pair
OME850J - $140.00 per pair
Rear Coil Springs
OME862 - $140.00 per pair
OME860 - $140.00 per pair
OME863 - $140.00 per pair
OME864 - $140.00 per pair
OME863J - $140.00 per pair
Font Shocks
N73 - $148.00 per pair
N73L - $148.00 per pair
Rear Shocks
N74E - $148.00 per pair
N74L - $148.00 per pair

Whats the difference? Lift? I would like to get a couple inches out of it, but nothing crazy. We've got enough massive lift F-350's down here for the rest of the country.

What would you recommend for 2inches of lift? So I'm looking at like $600parts + labor to use OME?

Give Christo a call and let him know what you want. They'll be able to set you up. As for install, these things are easy, especially if you don't do the caster correction bushes. The ride will be much improved even on road.

-H-

If you do call Slee let us know what he said. I'm in the same situation (on pavement 95%) where I need to change the shocks but would consider a small lift and improved ride with the OME if it doesn't involve the caster correction bushings. Bob

The 861/862 springs will give you about 1-1 1/2 inches over your current ride (presuming your 120k has the original stock springs). As previously stated they will significantly improve your ride and handling.

Don't know about the differences in the soft v. firm OME shocks.

Those of you that are planning low to no lift will *not* want the OME-L shocks.
N73L/N74L
The OME-L are longer shocks designed for the 850j/863j combo.
-B-

Did the OME light/medium duty on my truck. It eliminated the body roll almost completely. The ride quality is better now, but it is "stiff" and probably not for everyone, it can't be called anything less than a dramatic change from the LX450 stock suspension. Handling is significantly improved.

The best part is while towing.....the OME suspension rides and handles about 347% better than the stock set-up. :D

Mike

Well as the poseur in the crowd here , I'd recommend the light front , medium rear ... then swap in a gear replacement from Slees , and bump up your tires to 295 BFG AT KO's ...

Tyler

PS : Can't remember if that gear thingie will correct for the 295's , and if not wire up a Truspeed recalibrator and take a gps onto the highway later .

I am in the process of putting an ARB and winch on the front of my '96. I want to run stock size tires and will have it offroad very little, I know, what a shame. However, I want to put OME suspension on it. What is the best set up? Light or Heavy? I do pull a boat with the truck....a ski boat. I also pull a duck boat to and from Ark which is about 500 round trip.

I replaced the stock shocks with Bilsteins and they firmed up the ride considerably and took away the wallow when the truck was loaded. The stock springs are definetly soft. I can tell you what type of different the OME low lift springs make on Tuesday when they go in.

Cary

861 front/ 862 rear. N73 front shocks, n74 rear shocks. 1/2" lift approx with enough oomph to carry the winch and bumper. No issue with caster.

The oem springs are not going to like a winch and bumper. Even 851's in the front does not like it.

I'll chime in here with a question for Tex. Why lift your vehicle for road use? It is more susceptible to rolling, gets lower MPG's, clearance in parking garage becomes an issue if you have any rack, etc. If you also add larger tires, braking and acceleration suffer, and rollover propensity increases again. All of these are tradeoffs away from the solitary use of the vehicle - on road driving.

I'd consider a set of new factory shocks. $100 from the dealer and they're a very high quality unit. I replaced mine at 100k and the truck drives nearly new again - no wallow, less brake dive and notably better suspension control while heavily laden.

Nothing against lifts and such, but seems kinda counterintuitive for you??

IdahoDoug

Doug, the road handling in the truck will suck with an extra 250lbs on the front. Especially if the stock springs are old. The 861/862's are only .5" lift. Not enough to make a difference, but a lot better handling.

I replaced the stock shocks with OME N73/N74E shocks with little improvement. Installed OME861/862 springs some time later - made a huge difference!!!

Just my experience,
Frank.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=6270;start=msg51257#msg51257 date=1066250219]
I'll chime in here with a question for Tex. Why lift your vehicle for road use? It is more susceptible to rolling, gets lower MPG's, clearance in parking garage becomes an issue if you have any rack, etc. If you also add larger tires, braking and acceleration suffer, and rollover propensity increases again. All of these are tradeoffs away from the solitary use of the vehicle - on road driving.

I'd consider a set of new factory shocks. $100 from the dealer and they're a very high quality unit. I replaced mine at 100k and the truck drives nearly new again - no wallow, less brake dive and notably better suspension control while heavily laden.

Nothing against lifts and such, but seems kinda counterintuitive for you??

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

I second this.
If it never gets dirty don't assume the extra risk or responsibility of getting taller.
You can always run ome no lift as Slee pointed out.

I didn't note that he was planning to install an offroad bumper or a winch - the only 2 things I can think of that weigh 250lbs on the front? If so, of course it should be accounted for with suspension mods, but then my comment applies even more on a road-only machine.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6270;start=msg51293#msg51293 date=1066255867]
Doug, the road handling in the truck will suck with an extra 250lbs on the front. Especially if the stock springs are old. The 861/862's are only .5" lift. Not enough to make a difference, but a lot better handling.
[/quote]

Christo - I too am considering the OME lift but just not sure which one to go with. I do a bit of off-roading and need clearance in the rear (especially when loaded with camping gear). I also don't have any aftermarket front bumper but might someday.

The 861/862 combo would probably be fine IF I get the 1.5" of actual lift that others talk about. But I get worried when it's spec'd at only .5" of lift.

Another question is with a front bumper is it better to have the 861 low lift but heavy OR the 851 higher lift but light?

Yet another question is with the 2" lift (like 860's) do I need to do any driveshaft mods? I understand I need caster correction but not sure about the driveshaft.

Perhaps a phone call would be best to discuss. I also need to discuss shipping your sliders and skid plate up to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom