Renogy vs HF 100w panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm sorry if this has been posted here before, I just found it and thought it was interesting. I really know nothing about the details but on the surface I'm quite surprised that the harbor freight panel did so well.
100w

Yes, not bad deal. The test protocol could have been slightly better, but it's pretty good.

IIRC, I noted in passing that it seemed like he was measuring 1,250 W / m2 of insolation. That is very high. I don't recall ever seeing that in person. Which -if true- would also explain why he got close to 100W of output power.

So that would be sufficient to keep a car battery charged and a fridge running? Kinda large option, but just a question
since I'm still studying

Cruiserpilot - Maybe, depends on fridge, sun, battery type & condition. FWIW I have a 2020 engel mt45 , checked lid fit with light inside at night, no gaps, shaded while in vehicle, 115 watts of solar, sunforce 8 amp charge controller ( simple/cheapo) , 2 batts ( agm ) and yes, with sun or partial cloudy, even moderate clouds it will run the fridge without running vehicle, add variables like less sun, warm temps, different fridge, maybe not. It is a good baseline so you know. We ran the numbers years ago on an engel 45 and determined that on a good lead acid it takes 68 watts of solar performing almost perfect to break even, thats why I went to 115 watts and 2 batts.

Wonder where he got the coupon.

Cruiserpilot - Maybe, depends on fridge, sun, battery type & condition. FWIW I have a 2020 engel mt45 , checked lid fit with light inside at night, no gaps, shaded while in vehicle, 115 watts of solar, sunforce 8 amp charge controller ( simple/cheapo) , 2 batts ( agm ) and yes, with sun or partial cloudy, even moderate clouds it will run the fridge without running vehicle, add variables like less sun, warm temps, different fridge, maybe not. It is a good baseline so you know. We ran the numbers years ago on an engel 45 and determined that on a good lead acid it takes 68 watts of solar performing almost perfect to break even, thats why I went to 115 watts and 2 batts.
Ok thanks. In my case, dual series 31 starting batteries with a National Luna Weekender50 dual compartment.
I run the large compartment at 4C and the small freezer at -6C. They run 10C difference. For me in northern Canada we don’t get the high direct Sun as most in lower 48 get. Usually I’m travelling Sept/Oct and the sun is flatter and lower. I’m leaning towards minimum of 200W. Will Prowse has a site and most of my initial info is from him. He indicated that the above test would be normal, basically high cost rarely equates to higher output quantity and quality. I like the idea of solar blankets.
This might seem expensive, and to a degree it is. But am I as likely to get enough charge with this. I’m pretty
amenable to having to adjust direction. Getting enough actual output is my concern.

I‘m not an electronics freak. I’d let everything die just to keep my fridge running and my truck starting. Nothing else matters.

I'm sorry if this has been posted here before, I just found it and thought it was interesting. I really know nothing about the details but on the surface I'm quite surprised that the harbor freight panel did so well.
100w
I just wish I understood and had the tools he uses to determine how it all works. Has anyone done this with
solar blankets? Lensun indicates really good numbers, but has anyone tested to see if they make it?

Most of the more expensive charge controller & dual battery controllers will show panel output, system voltage, mine does not show all that, I am reporting based off real world experiences with said components over a decade plus of use, started with an old engel 45 ( no voltage protect ) and 45 watts of crap solar, KISS is my policy, upgraded to a newer engel 45 and to 115w of solar.

I saw that on another thread you went with a flex panel. I like them, but am leaning to the blanket just as it can package up neater
for me. The military seems to have made gains in the blanket design and I dont' see any loss either way of either one
panel or several. so long as the output is there. I too keep it simple. My truck is extremely well equiped and used, but
also compartmentalized so I don't have inadvertent downstream loss in the event of a single failure.

??? what ?
If this is for me...dude in the video said he got the panel for $100 due to using a coupon.
Then confusingly he goes on to say the price had jumped $30. (when it was $130 when he bought)
I'd like a 24v panel for $100.
Just wonder where to get the coupon. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom