Removing weather stripping and its glue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.swordswallowing.com
So after 36 years of desert living the 40's weather stripping is crunchy and crumbling.
I am not restoring the truck, but it needs replacing. And while I am sure I don't ever want to do this again I am also curious about the need to be 100% meticulous in removing the old adhesive. I know that in theory it all needs to go.
I am using 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, a plastic scrapper and finger nails.
Mostly is is going fine, slow but fine. Some spots just want don't want to come off.
Any advise out there?
Thanks.

Photo(8).jpg

i found the best solvent was straight toluene. i put it in a spray bottle, spray it on and let soak. peel up area spray again. it will eventually penetrate and the old glue will become mushy and soft. remove remaining weatherstripping, wipe with shop rags you plan on never using again. only use outside in a WELL ventilated area!! and where rubber gloves. the evaporates will make you sick and shorten your lifespan. for the really hard and stubborn areas you can use a wire wheel attached to drill or angle grinder.

hope this helps.

andy

Thanks.
That sounds about where I am at. I don't really want to sacrifice the paint by using a wheel. Green scrub pads are working, I guess dull paint under the weather stripping won't be the end of the world.

Geoff

I quickly removed old glue with a product called "Goof Off" available at Home Depot.

i found the best solvent was straight toluene. i put it in a spray bottle, spray it on and let soak. peel up area spray again. it will eventually penetrate and the old glue will become mushy and soft. remove remaining weatherstripping, wipe with shop rags you plan on never using again. only use outside in a WELL ventilated area!! and where rubber gloves. the evaporates will make you sick and shorten your lifespan. for the really hard and stubborn areas you can use a wire wheel attached to drill or angle grinder.

hope this helps.

andy

The one thing I wasn't doing was using a spray bottle, I was just using a rag.
The spray bottle does a much better job of soaking the old stuff down.
Moving along much faster now.
Thanks again.

glad it working. another option that works well is to pour some into a metal container and using a stiff brush scrub the area. i used a toothbrush and a stiff paint brush. helps get into the little overturned lip area. and again, lots of shop rags. don't bother washing them, it won't work. straight to the garbage.

andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom