Removing third member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, happy saturday.

I'm trying to remove my third member. I know that i have to pull my axles out a bit to do it. I've pulled off the hub, the brake assembly thing, and then knuckle housing cap or whatever.

do i need to pull out the birfield? what's my next step? i've drained the diff.

do i have to take the whole knuckle off to pull on that axle? i don't see how it comes off.

Good job- best feeling when you figure it out on your own!

I call them scraper seals, they have a scraping action on the spherical part of the axle housing, the grease seals on the rear of the swival housing, the rubber ring, felt ring, split metal ring, the two plates with the 4 bolts retaining them to the swival housing. When you remove these and one king pin, this lets the swival housing come away from the axle housing, allowing you to extract the axle shafts, allowing you to remove the third member.

The site does not like certain combinations of letters. I believe vk7ybi is trying to say s-c-r-a-p-e-r seals. These are the felt seals on the inboard side of the nuckle ball. You can see them without any disassembly.

oh, that's cool. that would have been a lot easier. well, at least now i know how the whole assembly comes apart/goes together/works. good trail knowledge.

the four bolts, those are the ones on the bottom of the knuckle, yeah?

Nope.. There are two pressed sheet metal half moon plates that retain the felt seal, each plate has 4 small bolts fastening them to the swival housing..

Usually only the top arm needs to be taken off to get the swival housing off, but sometimes loosening the bottom plate helps.. The bottom plate has 4 nuts and flat washers screwed onto studs in the swival housing. If you ever do it this way be careful not to mess up the total shim thickness under the steering arm and bottom plate.. These shims locate the swival housing relative to the axle centre line and set trunnion bearing preload..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom