Removing the oil pan gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

samatulich

SILVER Star
Threads
I dropped the oil pan( and scrapped away what I could of the old cork gasket. What is left is the two ends(front/rear). I don’t want to damage the surfaces, but I am having a heck of a time getting the old gasket off of there. So far I have just been using a gasket scraper, hammer and elbow grease.
Anyone have any tips, tricks or secrets to removing the old, baked on, hard as cement cork gasket?

19660F19-08A0-4870-B018-8826F03C881D.jpeg

Commit to it and be patient. Use whatever works. I used one of those scrapers that hold a razor blade.

I just did this. The whole gasket was really stuck, but the ends were the worst. Sounds like I did it about the way you are and I took awhile. I went over it with a wire wheel on a drill afterward to clean it up.

Use a single edge razor blade to remove most of it.
Finish it off with this chucked in a drill

E853E1A4-F362-446B-9105-E758D7DF03DE.jpeg

I wouldn't use a wire cup brush as it will not get into the half circle grooves very well and it may shed a wire where you don't want it. For the front and rear half circular parts I used small flat head screw drivers and chipped away at the old gasket a little at a time. Like mentioned, in the flat areas use a nice sharp blade. Once you get the half circles chipped out you can then use a small stiff bristle (stainless) wire brush and some brake clean to finish the surface off. It is very important that you get the old gasket material out of the 90* corners (the edge of the half circle). It took me a good while to remove and install my oil pan gasket, about a full day including all the clean up of the pan and bottom end. Make sure when you put the new one on you use some small string and tie the gasket to the pan through 6 or 8 of the bolt holes. Once you get a few bolts loosely threaded in on each end you can let go of the pan and then put more bolts in. Cut the strings and pull them out one at a time just before you insert the associated bolt. I heard horror stories about installing them but, compared to getting the old one off, I found it quite easy. ALSO, take off your oil strainer screen and clean it while you have access. I washed all the old oil down with Kingsford lighter fluid.

20200919_153530.jpg

20200919_163430.jpg

20200920_155252.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I’ll continue as is, practicing time and patience. The straight edges are removed, I just have the halve circle ends to clean up now.

Heat, as mentioned, and I used a 180 grit flap wheel in the Dremel tool. Wrap several layers of athletic tape on the grip edge of a straight razor blade to reduce fatigue. . .

Fun job, not.

Roloc discs, the fiber version, were designed just for this purpose. There are other brands than 3M, and color determines the grit. Brown is the most aggressive, then maroon, then blue, then gray. Blue and gray are for aluminum.

Here's an example: Amazon product ASIN B0002STR90
Patience is also your friend. Here's my oil pan write up: ih8mud.com/tech/oilpan.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom