Removing spare tire crossmember - tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a couple of weeks I hope to be able to get back under my truck (after snow melt!) and try to remove the crossmember that holds the spare tire carrier. I have a good used carrier to replace the one on there that was seized (North-East truck). WHen I tried to have a go at the 4 bolts in the Fall, the nuts felt frozen to the bolts. Applied PB Blaster but no go. Is there a trick to getting those off? For things like that, I usually try to get a box-end wrench on the hidden side (the nut, in this case), and hope the wrench catches when I wrench on the other side with a 6 point socket and extension. Oh the joys of solo wrenching ;) Thanks for the tips...

Heat is your best friend. Use a torch and get it real hot. Also on the blaster several treatments over a few days is important.

x2 on multiple treatments of PB.

Heat is your best friend. Use a torch and get it real hot. Also on the blaster several treatments over a few days is important.

Uhhh... aren't those bolts only a couple of inches from the gas tank? I know they are on the FJ62, maybe the BJ is different. I don't think this would be a good idea.

Sharp drill, just drill them out. Then either re-tap the holes, or just drill them oversized and put nuts on the new bolts. That's what I did on my FJ62, I actually made a new crossmember from scratch:

RearXMember.jpg

Last edited:
I guess if you use a real big torch and have very limited ability with your aim you might get in trouble. They make pencil torches that you can get right on the bolt with. If your real worried or in a tight spot use some kind of shield between you and the tank, but it is amazing what heat does to frozen bolts.

Hm. Never seen a nut splitter before... does it take 'em off without damaging the bolt threads?

It can but if you need a nut splitter the bolt will be done anyways.
They work like a hot dam, even a 3/4" nut in a snap.

Yah no worries using the torch on the BJ60. Don't do it if your a tard... but honestly if you can't smell any diesel and it isn't leaking onto your torch your pretty good to blast those bolts.

I cut my inner channel out of my rear frame with a torch for weekend with a half tank of diesel in there. Didn't even flinch, A grinder is more of an ignition source IMOP.

I recommend penetration oil and an impact wrench. Second torch. Third air chisel.

Uhhh... aren't those bolts only a couple of inches from the gas tank? I know they are on the FJ62, maybe the BJ is different. I don't think this would be a good idea.

Sharp drill, just drill them out. Then either re-tap the holes, or just drill them oversized and put nuts on the new bolts. That's what I did on my FJ62, I actually made a new crossmember from scratch:

RearXMember.jpg

The old one's still good! A little POR-15 and it's new again.

I should have posted pics of the one I removed.

Thanks for all the tips folks!! I don't have air so will see how I make out with penetrating oil and strategic use of muscle power, tools and physics... If no go, will take it into a shop with air chisel for removal. Those nut-splitters look very useful, though I don't think I can get at the nuts on top of the frame with it...

I agree, that custom cross-member is very nice, but mine will likely look like the old one in the picture, and indeed I'll just wire brush it and paint it.

Looking forward to have a place to store my spare tire again, and yes, I'll make sure to keep the new carrier well oiled and un-seized!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom