Removing paint from powdercoat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I screwed up I had some surface rust on the bottom of my passenger's side rear door. I sanded it, Corrorseal'd it, and was spraying on some white (oof) Rustoleum primer and didn't cover my powder coated sliders as well as I should have. So I have some lovely white Rustoleum primer on my black powder coated slider. Anyone have a recommendation on how to get it off, without removing the powdercoating?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Acetone (nail polish remover) on a rag should remove the paint but not mess with the powder coat. Test on an inconspicuous area first

Acetone (nail polish remover) on a rag should remove the paint but not mess with the powder coat. Test on an inconspicuous area first

Thanks! I bought acetone, mineral spirits and laqquer thinner, was waiting for some advice on which to use.

Acetone & lacquer thinner should both work fine. Since powder coat is actually closer to a hardened plastic than paint, most solvents won't ruin it if just used on a rag to wipe it down. Pouring it on and letting it sit may yield different results

Powder Coat Question

Last edited:
acetone didn't work will try lacquer thinner next otherwise I'll live with it lol

lacquer thinner worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom