removing (OEM?) steering wheel cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is OEM but i'm thinking about removing it due to the poor condition.
Want to know if you recommend taking it off? Will it be nice and beautiful under the cover??

*above pictures are not mine (too dark to take photos rn)

That is definitely not a factory wheel cover. Carefully snip the thread holding the cover on the wheel. You may want to purchase another wheel cover to replace the existing cover. No telling what the OEM wheel condition is like underneath.

If someone spent the time to put on a cover, the wheel underneath is likely worn. Recovering the wheel professionally is generally $300-500. There are aftermarket wheels on eBay that look nice. Another cover like you already have is probably around $100-200 and would need to be reinstalled by you.

I've been debating what to do about my wheel ever since I bought it. It's worn, but I don't love the idea of spending $500 to recover a daily/off road vehicle. I also don't like the covers. First world problems....

The material under the steering wheel cover is a soft dense foam. This foam was similarly colored to the factory leather on my 1999, a dark tan/brownish color. I removed the disgusting factory leather wrap when I bought my rig 3 1/2 years ago by seam ripping the stitches. Been driving with the foam since. At first I hated it (but less so than the sticky worn out leather) but now I don't mind. Although it is not as nice looking as leather, the foam is still in good shape and comfortable to grip for 12+ hours on the road/trail.

I recovered the steering wheel on my 1998 LC with brown leather handlebar tape from a bicycle shop. It looks awesome, it only cost $25, and there is no need for sewing or removing the steering wheel.

brown leather handlebar tape.

Look up boat/auto upholstery on Craigslist. A local guy quoted me $160 including the leather.

Thanks for the input. I’ll likely take off the cover tomorrow and I’ll report back on what’s underneath.

Check out the Loncky steering wheel covers. They cost about $60 and seem to be just about the best option out there short of a professional recover.

Amazon product ASIN B00QLYA3XS

Yeah Loncky is legit, $60 and took me four hours or so and I'd never sewed anything before. I thought it turned out great.

1X9qItb.jpg

GCXjPPC.jpg

Yeah Loncky is legit, $60 and took me four hours or so and I'd never sewed anything before. I thought it turned out great.

1X9qItb.jpg

GCXjPPC.jpg

That looks awesome! I wish the brown was a little better color matched. Pictures at least make it look a little lighter than the OEM leather color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom