Removing Front and Rear Differentials for re-gear and lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I was doing my Tundra swap on the front suspension, my gears/lockers finally arrived that were ordered back in late summer. Originally I had planned on having a shop do all of the work, but now that my front end has the cv's out and I am waiting on parts, how hard is it to remove the third members and send just that to the shop?

All searches yielded removing third row seats, so any tips, videos, etc would be helpful. Also just curious how hard it is. From what I gather it is pretty much:

- Drain diff
- Remove axles
- Disconnect Drive shafts
- Remove Diff

Rear seems much easier than the front.

So, anyone do this themselves? Thanks!

The FSM is a big help with removing and installing the front diff. You also need a tranny jack or similar to help you unless you have a couple friends. It's kind of a puzzle getting it in and out of position but not too bad. It took me a couple tries to get it in with the help of the tranny jack from harbor freight. But once I figured out that it goes in at a pretty extreme angle before you can level it in to position, it's not too bad.

@TeCKis300 started a pretty good thread on this forum that you should check out if you haven't already.

The FSM is a big help with removing and installing the front diff. You also need a tranny jack or similar to help you unless you have a couple friends. It's kind of a puzzle getting it in and out of position but not too bad. It took me a couple tries to get it in with the help of the tranny jack from harbor freight. But once I figured out that it goes in at a pretty extreme angle before you can level it in to position, it's not too bad.

@TeCKis300 started a pretty good thread on this forum that you should check out if you haven't already.
Thanks for the reply. Is it a general build thread or something more specific?

Just did that myself - the rear is easy, but shockingly heavy, even when you expect it to be. Reinstalling is a pain (at least was for me) if you’re adding an air locker because of the line location.

Front is a frustrating joke of a job. Remove the front drive shaft to make life easier as it tends to stick to the diff. Be prepared to curse as you just try to tetris it out.

The other consideration is a front regear/locker on our clamshells is a tough project, so anticipate some downtime

Thanks for the reply. Is it a general build thread or something more specific?

I find the cheapo wheeled red/white transmission scissor jacks from harbor fright to be handy for jobs like this. If you have any sort of lift, you can remove the wheels on the transmission jack part and put them on a hydraulic lift table to extend their reach. Or to still be 18 and strong like an ox, but those days are long gone for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom