Removing cross bars on Factory roof rack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I wanted to take the crossbars off of my factory rack (2000 LC 100) but keep the rack bars installed in the roof. The crossbars loosen and slide around freely, and I can see where the caps that cover the footing of attached roof rack bars would come off, but there's a small ridge within, the bars at the end of the groove so not sure if I remove the caps, that the crossbars will slide out freely, or will I have to remove the whole footing of the roofrack bar where it atttaches? Hopefully this makes sense. Any pointers on best way to get those crossbars off? Thank u.

Howdy, did you ever find out how to efficiently take out the cross bars while keeping the OEM roof rail intact ? Want to do the same as I'm running old school Thule square rails. Thanks in advance ..

You need to remove the ends to slide the bars off. I think it’s easiest to take the whole rack off to remove them.

I ended up taking the whole rack off.
Time wasn’t on my side as a winter storm is approaching so I carefully cut the aluminum bars off keeping the end mounts intact. Filed the roughness down and will paint metal ends black to match rails. Didn’t want to also possibly snap/crack one of those rail mounting caps and will wait until summer to properly remove what is left
IMG_5948.jpeg

Time wasn’t on my side as a winter storm is approaching so I carefully cut the aluminum bars off keeping the end mounts intact. Filed the roughness down and will paint metal ends black to match rails. Didn’t want to also possibly snap/crack one of those rail mounting caps and will wait until summer to properly remove what is left View attachment 3459764
Time wasn’t on my side as a winter storm is approaching so I carefully cut the aluminum bars off keeping the end mounts intact. Filed the roughness down and will paint metal ends black to match rails. Didn’t want to also possibly snap/crack one of those rail mounting caps and will wait until summer to properly remove what is left View attachment 3459764
Yes I was thinking of doing that but didn't want to saw the rack in case I wanted to put it on later, but it seems like there was no way to get rails off as there is a piece of rack that blocks them from sliding out when you get caps off. The caps fortunately came off pretty easily, there's a youtube tutorial, but getting some of the hardware out of the roof holes was pretty labor intensive. What u did probably smarter way to go.

Yes I was thinking of doing that but didn't want to saw the rack in case I wanted to put it on later, but it seems like there was no way to get rails off as there is a piece of rack that blocks them from sliding out when you get caps off. The caps fortunately came off pretty easily, there's a youtube tutorial, but getting some of the hardware out of the roof holes was pretty labor intensive. What u did probably smarter way to go.
Cheers for the communication. This community rocks !

Removing the rack takes about 15 minutes at most. Not labor intensive at all. Remove the covers, remove three bolts from each leg, lift it off. I think the whole thing only weighs 15 lbs. Then you can remove the front or rear feet and slide off the cross members.

Now, I live in the south and don't have to deal with rust. That could make this a bigger challenge.

Removing the rack takes about 15 minutes at most. Not labor intensive at all. Remove the covers, remove three bolts from each leg, lift it off. I think the whole thing only weighs 15 lbs. Then you can remove the front or rear feet and slide off the cross members.

Now, I live in the south and don't have to deal with rust. That could make this a bigger challenge.
the bolts had stripped and took a while to get out, the heads had rusted from water pooling on top and it's hard to tell if that's the case until you get in there.

Another vote here for removing the rack, but no harm in getting it done another way.

The plus side to removing the rack is your bolts and seals are probably all crusty and need attention anyway. Clean em an re-seal next spring maybe?

The bomb diggidy for sealing seen below. Make sure to get the 4000
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066991/>>

1697731729421.png

Another vote here for removing the rack, but no harm in getting it done another way.

The plus side to removing the rack is your bolts and seals are probably all crusty and need attention anyway. Clean em an re-seal next spring maybe?

The bomb diggidy for sealing seen below. Make sure to get the 4000
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066991/>>

View attachment 3459995
Yes Sir, clean and restore the OEM rail or add a aftermarket rack when warm weather resumes. Saved the 3M product in my Amazon wish list .. looks like a solid product.

Yes Sir, clean and restore the OEM rail or add a aftermarket rack when warm weather resumes. Saved the 3M product in my Amazon wish list .. looks like a solid product.
For sure. If I remember right it's meant to be fully submerged in boat applications but stays pliable enough to be removed in the future. I spoke with 3M about it. They also make a version that turns rock hard but it doesn't seem good for this use case.

Best advice I can give on a roof rack is to go for Gamiviti unless you want more of a T-Slot style rack . It took me a while before I could justify the cost on this but it comes in handy for the type of cruisin we do. I;ve got the drop basket in the middle and cargo bars in the front and back, w/ panels if needed.

1697737258960.png
1697737308833.png

For sure. If I remember right it's meant to be fully submerged in boat applications but stays pliable enough to be removed in the future. I spoke with 3M about it. They also make a version that turns rock hard but it doesn't seem good for this use case.

Best advice I can give on a roof rack is to go for Gamiviti unless you want more of a T-Slot style rack . It took me a while before I could justify the cost on this but it comes in handy for the type of cruisin we do. I;ve got the drop basket in the middle and cargo bars in the front and back, w/ panels if needed.

View attachment 3460072View attachment 3460073
Solid, I'll check that one out. Happy Venturing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom