Removing 4x4 Labs spindle cap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
I searched and didn’t find anything. I need to remove my spindle cap and don’t want to mangle it. Any best ideas or tips n tricks to remove this cap without damaging it???

TIA,
Smitty

I searched and didn’t find anything. I need to remove my spindle cap and don’t want to mangle it. Any best ideas or tips n tricks to remove this cap without damaging it???

TIA,
Smitty
I know this won't help but I sealed mine with RTV. I know that water intrusion, even just a little bit, can cause the bearings to rot away on the inside of the shell.

I know this won't help but I sealed mine with RTV. I know that water intrusion, even just a little bit, can cause the bearings to rot away on the inside of the shell.
I have heard that as well. I want to check the tightness as I am getting some sag, but I am also curious to see if I have had any water intrusion. I will probably rtv mine as well when I put it back on.

I have heard that as well. I want to check the tightness as I am getting some sag, but I am also curious to see if I have had any water intrusion. I will probably rtv mine as well when I put it back on.
Before you try anything, call 4x4Labs to see if they will send you some new ones. If you have any issues getting the original ones off, you will have a spare set. The only way I know to get them off is with a chisel and hammer. Good luck.

Lightly tap around the edge working your way around and it will pop up. I’ve had mine on and off a few times.

I used a pry stick and hammer to remove mine. Just go around the cap and lightly tap with the pry driver and hammer in an upward direction.

I wish I would have sealed mine with RTV in the beginning. My spindle was never submerged and saw limited rain here in SW Utah. But one of my spindles must have got some water inside because the bearing was badly rusted and it seized so I had to replace it.

I used a pry stick and hammer to remove mine. Just go around the cap and lightly tap with the pry driver and hammer in an upward direction.

I wish I would have sealed mine with RTV in the beginning. My spindle was never submerged and saw limited rain here in SW Utah. But one of my spindles must have got some water inside because the bearing was badly rusted and it seized so I had to replace it.
this is a good tip - ive had my 4x4 labs rear now for like 6 months and its only seen a little rain. Ive noticed a small amount of rust under that cap...ill have to pull it off, add some grease and then seal it.

I went ahead and used a pickle fork, hammer and a rag. The rag protected the cap just fine from the pickle fork. It was easy.

I was happy to see that after being installed for three years and living outside in the South, I had zero water intrusion and the red grease still looked new.

smitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom