Removing 3rd Brake Light with Spoiler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am asking for some help to remove the 3rd brake light on the spoiler. On each end of the light are red caps and under the caps are the screws to remove the light. How and the heck do I remove the red cap? I am reinstalling it, so I don't want to break the light. In the picture it looks like a groove, but it's not.

Thank you for any suggestions,

James
3rd2.jpg

I am asking for some help to remove the 3rd brake light on the spoiler. On each end of the light are red caps and under the caps are the screws to remove the light. How and the heck do I remove the red cap? I am reinstalling it, so I don't want to break the light. In the picture it looks like a groove, but it's not.

Thank you for any suggestions,

James
View attachment 2898572

I suppose it depends on whether or not the caps have any adhesive/sealant or are just press fit. If the former....I doubt you'll get them off without damage.

If simply 'press fit' (most likely) then I can only offer how I would do it:

I would drill a small hole in the center....LIGHTLY thread a sharp pointed dry-wall/wood screw into it and pull straight out (do not rock it back and forth). IF successful....reinstall with a small dab of clear silicone.

I suppose it depends on whether or not the caps have any adhesive/sealant or are just press fit. If the former....I doubt you'll get them off without damage.

If simply 'press fit' (most likely) then I can only offer how I would do it:

I would drill a small hole in the center....LIGHTLY thread a sharp pointed dry-wall/wood screw into it and pull straight out (do not rock it back and forth). IF successful....reinstall with a small dab of clear silicone.
Great idea and thank you. I will let you know after I try that...

Great idea and thank you. I will let you know after I try that...
I drilled the hole on each side like you suggested. I was able to remove the bolts holding the light, but the actual light had so much adhesive, that it wasn't coming out without something breaking. I did get the light out mostly in 1 piece. Now, I have to clean the area and use some touch-up paint, then I am good to go with a new light. That was the only logical way to remove it. Thank you for your help

I drilled the hole on each side like you suggested. I was able to remove the bolts holding the light, but the actual light had so much adhesive, that it wasn't coming out without something breaking. I did get the light out mostly in 1 piece. Now, I have to clean the area and use some touch-up paint, then I am good to go with a new light. That was the only logical way to remove it. Thank you for your help

You did your best. It just wasn't going to come out in one piece no matter the method. Good job.

It will be nice to a new brake light and everything cleaned up anyway. Thanks for the follow up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom