Remote won't lock doors! Electrical gremlins. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving a ’97 for years, I bought a 2001 100 series about two months ago for my wife. It has about 69,000 miles on it. I have an electrical issue that’s making me nuts. I searched and checked the FAQ, but I haven’t found a solution.

A couple of days ago the alarm went off for no apparent reason and the door ajar indicator light on the dash went on and stays on. The remote keys can unlock the truck, but it won’t lock by remote because it thinks a door is open.

I’ve check the continuity of all of the door switches including the rear hatch and all appear to be fine. I pulled the connector on the remote door computer and check a few of the pins. I gave up when I got tired of being contorted like a pretzel under the dash. ;p

I can’t figure out what else to check. We had some rain this week, but it’s been in the rain before with no problems. I have the FSM, but you need an electrical engineering degree to read the diagnostics section.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I’d like to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible.

IIRC, there are 2 different inputs for the doors, can't recall which does what, for interior illumination each door switch inputs to the ECU seperately, but the door lock actuator has a lock detection switch in them as well and they all feed to a common input. They ground out to activate the ECU. I would start by going around and working all the switches on each door, and then activate the electrical locking from the interior switch to cycle the locks so if there is a stuckt actuator then it micht free up. The rear tail gate switch may be the culprit and may need adjusting. Water may have gotton in somewhere and tracked an input to ground. A hard one to find. The illumination switches may also trigger the ECU so don't write them off. The dealer may not be able to track it down any quicker than you! Good luck

my 1999 does it every once and a while. Mine is the passanger side door lock. The remote will unlock but will not lock the doors. Physically stick the key in the door lcok and work it back and forth a few times. This fixes mine every time.

good luck

Thanks for the replies. I'll try out the suggestions and let you know what I find.

Well after several days of playing with the door locks and rocking switches back and forth, my wife called me from work today to tell me everything works again.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe it helped. I have no idea if it was something I did or if it was water from the last rain grounding something.

I can't complain. I love it when cruisers fix themselves!:D

hello my 2003 landcruiser 100's remote locking and unlocking function stopped working and have been to locksmiths 1. key is working and replaced the batteryw and i can manually lock unlock all the doors via drivers door and of course it can start car. 2. the car is not responding to reporgramming the key so its nothing to do with programming 3. all fuses are okay and woerking. 4. now im left with a question ... how to find a diagram of some sort of ecu so i can check if there is loose connection or is there another way to program the key ? basically im looking for detailed diagram of wiring or ecu bodies that are related to my issue. thanks in advanmce

hello my 2003 landcruiser 100's remote locking and unlocking function stopped working and have been to locksmiths 1. key is working and replaced the batteryw and i can manually lock unlock all the doors via drivers door and of course it can start car. 2. the car is not responding to reporgramming the key so its nothing to do with programming 3. all fuses are okay and woerking. 4. now im left with a question ... how to find a diagram of some sort of ecu so i can check if there is loose connection or is there another way to program the key ? basically im looking for detailed diagram of wiring or ecu bodies that are related to my issue. thanks in advanmce
The reprogramming of the key, is that being done by the locksmith or is it being done through Toyota TIS Techstream? If you look around on the forum here there is someone that has scanned copies of the Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) linked, or you could do like I did and go on ebay and see if you can grab a copy of the books for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom