Remote starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Ok i know i have brought this up before or at least talked about remote starters.
I finaly got out to put it in and got it mounted ect.. but i stoped when i got to about 4 wires that need to be tied into the ignition. like ignition 1, ignition 2, start. the directions i have tell me what color wires i need and i pulled the dash apart and found them but I see them coming out the back of the switch and going into a large plug not that far away. now all this is crammed in a small space of course and i dunno how i can tie into these wires? any sugestions? i hate to try and splice into these wires is there anything where further down the line that would be easier to get to? and how do you think i should splice into them?

any help is help
mike

That's where I tied in. Don't cut the wires. you really don't have enough room to put them back tegether. strip away about 1/4-1/2 of insulation. Use a test light probe or a nail or something and poke through the strands. Put your stripped remote wire through the hole and loop around. Then solder it into place. Tape it up well and you're good to go.

I tied in in the same spot, it will all fit in there when you are done.

i just dont see how i will have enough room to even strip the wire to splice in? i pulled the lower dash off and the metal plate which was rusted from the damn windsheild leak awhile ago. after that i could barly see the wires coming out the back of the ignition switch and going into the plug. also will i cause any probs in my LX if i unplug that switch? did you guys really have enough room to strip and sodder wires in there? i have to do it to like 4 or 5 wires. Would it be a major pain in the ass to take out the whole switch do my wiring then install it again?

thanks for the help

mike

My rig is a 94 so I don't know how diferent they are under the dash. However on mine I removed the lower dash cover and the vent ducting that crosses under the sterring shaft. After removing that I had plenty of room. My alarm is the top of the line two way pageing remote start from python, supposedly this is the best alarm on the market right now. It has more wires than you can poke a stick at and it all fit!! I connected the remote start wires to the wire harness after the conector under the steering column. I didn't strip wires and solder I used T taps, worked great on all my other alarms and you don't run the risk of electrical tape getting warm and losing it's sticky and falling off.
Any more specific questions you have I'll be glad to try and help. OH by the way make sure you connect both ingnition 1 + 2, other wise it won't start.

I just did this on my lx450 a few months ago. I've done this before and I solder everything. I made some of my connections directly at the ends on the key barrel where the oringal wires solder on. Just add some solder to the new wire then solder away to the stock solder points. I beleive it was ignition wire number two that I couldn't reach on the barrell so I did what another poster has already posted. I stripped a wire (without cutting it), wrapped my new wire around it, soldered it, then taped it up nicely. May help to put a heat gun under there if your wires are little stiff or it's cold out.

...once you are done it is NICE.

I do have a question for others though, where is the tach wire that you all have tapped into? Currently my engine starts on the second attempt (longer crank cycle since I did not hook up the tach wire). I would like it to start on first attempt, thus need the tach wire...blah blah blah. A pic with the wire pointed to would be a nice sppon feed :D

Kumar

The tach wire on my 94 that I tapped in to was right out of the igniter, on the drivers side fender behind the battery in front of the brake master. Heres a pic to show you the place that I tapped in. The wire is black, another way to make shure your wire is the same is
1.take an ohm meter, put it on AC voltage 20volt scale will work
2.attach ground wire to batt negative.
3.start and run vehicle
probe wire you think is the tach wire
4.If it is the tach wire you should have between 1 and 6volts!!

[quote author=xl715 link=board=2;threadid=11656;start=msg107127#msg107127 date=1077162751]

1.take an ohm meter, put it on AC voltage 20volt scale will work
2.attach ground wire to batt negative.
3.start and run vehicle
probe wire you think is the tach wire
4.If it is the tach wire you should have between 1 and 6volts!!
[/quote]

A volt meter might work better. :D

Most newer remote starters don't need a tach. They take the voltage increase from the alternator working to tell the remote that the vehicle is running.

I always solder. Expecially those connections. I got the habit back when the remote starters were hooked into the ECM and poor connections caused the vehicle to run poorly.

ok i asked earlier but didnt get a reply. now if i unplug the ignition switch where it plugs into the harness that wont casue me any problems right? the air bags are on a seperate switch yes? if so is it yellow and just below the steering wheel? also is it just one bolt to pull the whole ignition switch out? it looks like it clamps around the steering colume but its held with one bolt?

thanks mike

LX-Mikey,
Your FSM should have the details on removing the ignition switch. The EWD will identify the wires that you need to tap into. Solder, shrink wrap, then tape if you have enough room.
-B-

LX-Mikey,

ARB, custom roof rack, roof lights all around, dual batteries, remote starter, 450 watt sub woofer, in dash CB, Custom switch pannel, and more to come.

How long have you had the truck?

-B-

I got it at the end of the summer. I know i need to get one but so far i havent needed it yet But i do need to get one really soon maybe in a month or so.

Beo - so much for the not so subtle hint! :doh:

Why should he have to spend $$ when he can ask some idiot that bought the manual and save his money for the important stuff!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

What do you expect from a PAK!

>> so much for the not so subtle hint! <<

:D

He told us back in November or early December that Dad was buying him a FSM for Christmas. I guess the 450 watt sub woofer was more important.

-B-

Hardy Har har Beo i never said dad was buying me a FSM maybe you should do a search and see yourself. :flipoff2:

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom