Remolded Tires - Any opinion on that ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
What is the real value of that king of remolded tire ?

Is there wear down fast ?

Is they worth the money ?

I looking for a agressive tire like the ICELANDER M/T (greesdiamond) or EXPLORER MY (technopneu)... they look like Yokohama Geolandar MT but at the half of the price. So if they a better than the half quality it worth the money..?..?

Any opinionm on remolded tire.

http://greendiamondtire.com/
http://www.technopneu.com/a-accueil.asp

I went with these guys:

http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/

I have a set of the greendiamond OTR's. I think they're the best all around tire I've ever had, and when these wear out (rotate often, I think they'll go 40K easy) I'll buy another set.

Also, do a search for retreads.

Edit: these look cool though. wonder how well the tread does at low pressures? 32x10.50R16!
pneu_Xcavator.jpg

in the trucking industry big leaps have been made on retreading. alot of commercial and owner operators have been comming around and rethinking the value of them. retreads have been in use with fleet semi rigs for a long time and the last several years have really seen improvements in quality and service life if mantained properly.

assuming the light truck retreaders like greendiamond have kept up with the big guys, retreads should be everybit the quality of new in our applications, mileage and use.

ridgerunner, the pic you posted must be using a simex jungle trekker tread mold, it looks just like it.

I personally wouldn't use retreads on a tire that you plan to use on the highway. As a trail rig it's not a life or death situation if the tread lets go but at 60mph you could be in trouble.

Got a buddy in my club that swears by them.. He told me if I didnt like them he would by them from me at full price.. He has a set on all his rigs.

cruiser_guy said:
I personally wouldn't use retreads on a tire that you plan to use on the highway. As a trail rig it's not a life or death situation if the tread lets go but at 60mph you could be in trouble.

I've put over 20K on the high-tecs going 70mph down the interstate, and don't hesitate doing it again with these tires. I also use them for light wheeling. My grandfather in the 50's and 60's used to buy retreads because they were cheap- he spent more money on tires that would fall apart than he would if he had bought a new set of tires in the first place. Yesterday's retreads and todays are set apart by leaps and bounds. I'll let you know how my retreads held up at 40K. :)

Rhino- the Jungle Trekker copy is at : http://www.technopneu.com/a-accueil.asp

cruiser_guy said:

well see, your one of the holdouts that badmouths, you'll come around or you wont, no biggie. but retreads arent the cheap glued on rubber they used to be.

Last edited:
I'm all in on retreads for my application, but does anyone make 33x9.50x15's in a MT?

i don't think the http://greendiamondtire.com/manufacturing.html are like traditional retreads . they are like new tires same process . just reuse the carcass . and new rubber is added .and you usually get a extra ply on the sidewall . they heatup or preasurize the tire liqufies the rubber in a preassure mold .and then cools .to form a sorta brand new tire with a recycled core . eco tire environmentally friendly . something like that .i did not read the link above . i know we have these tires here in B.C. Canada . cheap .

You all be sure to post up with the good the bad and the ugly in a year or two time. I'm all for saving a few $$ but I also like to live a while longer. I'm picking up new tires for the '60 tomorrow, 31x10.5 Marshal's for just over $100/ea here in Guatemala. No idea how that compares to at home but my tires are too thin for me to feel comfortable.

Hey rhino i see you are in Arizona. How do your retreads stand up to the heat on the highway. I have seen many tires blow out during the summer here in Tucson but this has mainly been due to either tire age (>6years) or tread depth (too thin absorbs alot of heat). Also do you use them in an aired down situation with out worry. I read up on the Hi-tec site and they do seem like a good value if they are built better than the old school retreads.

I use 255/85x16r Hi-Tech Green Diamond mud tires for winter on one of my Dodge trucks. I use that truck for all work type stuff that needs doing around here. They're great in snow and even better on iced grass in my field. Been using them for three years now and the set has about 15000 miles on them with no problems at all. They dig just like LTRs, and if much snow falls during a night are the only way I can get my mail 'cause my driveway is long and unpaved with ditches close on each side. (I think that the 40 in my shop will join in that IF I ever get it done!)

It's my opinion that anyone who thinks that modern retreads are unsafe for any use is stuck in attitudes of the past and ignorant. The new processes make tires that are not the tires that your daddy complained about, and they are being proven to be as safe or in some cases even safer than many new tires are. Read the Hi-Tech site above for one example.

I was thinking about a set as well. ONE QUESTION, If you have a blowout, will it shed the entire tread like you see on x-ways littered up and down the road????? That is what I would be concerned about...

cruiser_guy said:

are there paved roads in Guatemala?

Degnol said:
I'm all in on retreads for my application, but does anyone make 33x9.50x15's in a MT?

If you want tall and skinny, step up to a 16" rim. Heavier load ranges and more availability in tire choices, plus you get away from floppy sidewalls at lower pressures. And you can get retreads.

Carbon- as for blowouts, I've had a few with new tires (2 BFGs and some noname), but so far good luck with my retreads. I'd be willing to bet the treads you see on the highway are remnants of older processes that involve semi tires...

Ridgerunner.... So would a retread blow out like semi tires on the x-way, or is this not possible with the new technology for retreading???

these tires are not like the old retreads . these are recycled cores .the process they use to make the tire is the same as the big manufactures use .they just start with a new core . these are basically new tires . the process in the mold turns the whole tire into molten rubber .the rubber then melts and liqufies and actually melts into the cords and belts .cooling to make a brand new tire .this tire will not shred apart . it is one solid rubber mass with the belts and cords impregnated into the new rubber . i've seen the process in person .i have bought a set have not had a problem yet .not on my cruiser tho

they may have a blow out if the previous core was crap . but they can't use a core that has ever been repaired . has to be a non-defective core for safety reasons

tfdcruiser said:
Hey rhino i see you are in Arizona. How do your retreads stand up to the heat on the highway. .

i dont have retreads on the cruiser, but the retreads i have used for years on the 18 wheeler hold up just fine. its all in maintinence and tire pressure and all that stuff. i replace them due to normal mileage wear and seldom have a blowout or seperation.

cruiser_guy said:
You all be sure to post up with the good the bad and the ugly in a year or two time. I'm picking up new tires for the '60 tomorrow, 31x10.5 Marshal's .

whoa slow down there big guy, your concerend about our safety with retreads and your going to buy,, whaa?? marshals??

seriously, there will always be bad and ugly with tires, both new and retreads, i have prolly put half a million miles on retreads under my 18 wheeler with very few problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom