Reman Engine Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I figured I would start a new thread on this particular issue to keep folks from having to read to the bottom of my water pump thread. Any rec's on reman options for my 2007 4.7 VVTI would be appreciated.

I called Jasper, they don't make a reman 4.7 VVTI. I called Jarco and they are $6250 with a 12 mo/12k miles parts only warranty. Through a dealer they include labor warranty but the increase in cost at a dealer is substantial.

Has anyone heard of S&J engines? I saw them mentioned on a tundra forum. Their website and warranty seems a bit gimmicky. They have good google reviews but i dont know if those are trustworthy.

Thanks in advance for the help and info

J&J Auto Wrecking is a good resource for Japanese parts.

I would also post up on the various Land Cruiser Facebook groups for used/rebuilt/reman'd engines.

Check car-part.com for local low mileage engine. 1st choice would be LC/LX for easiest swap. 2nd choice would be GX470 or 4Runner. 3rd would be Tundra/Sequoia. VVT-i started in 2005 for certain vehicles. All the VVT-i motors should be compatible. There will be some part swapping though (oil pan, etc).

Check car-part.com for local low mileage engine. 1st choice would be LC/LX for easiest swap. 2nd choice would be GX470 or 4Runner. 3rd would be Tundra/Sequoia. VVT-i started in 2005 for certain vehicles. All the VVT-i motors should be compatible. There will be some part swapping though (oil pan, etc).

@hoser not to change the subject to drastically, but aside from the bolt on components, i.e. the oil pan, manifolds, etc... are there any internal differences that you are aware of between the LX/LC 2UZ-FE and the GX/4Runner 2UZ-FE, and lastly the Tundra/Sequoia 2UZ-FE's? I have seen various claims made and if conclusive data has been presented, I must have missed it.

AFAIK, internally they are the "same." Country of origin differs. Tolerances likely differ too. ;)

Low mileage, used engine vs "rebuilt" is a tough decision. But I think I'd prefer low mileage used. Human error is a real thing. :beer:

Last edited:
Reman isn't best choice IMHO. But finding a great used is not always easy. Do your homework.

Look at "engine and The Unicorn" in my master link below. May help!

I don’t know about shipping, etc, but there is a company here in Salt Lake City that imports low mileage JDM motors. They are called Metric Motors and are very good. I don’t know if they sell and ship just a motor, but they may be worth a shot.

Thanks for the info. There is not much available for LC/LX 4.7 VVTI, but I see several GX470 in my area.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any other good websites for engines other than car-part.com?

Top Shop in Lafayette, CA just replaced the VVTi engine in my 2006 LX470. After much searching, they were able to locate a low mileage engine in Florida. The engine ran $3489 and S/H to get it to California was an additional $400. After numerous new parts, including Timing Belt, Starter, Rear Main Seal, Front Crank Seal, new hoses and radiator the truck is ready to be picked up. Total Cost? $11,787... Now just waiting for the check from Farmer's Insurance to show up since the first shop I took it to accepted complete responsibility for wrecking the original engine.

Last edited:
A little over 2 years ago I bought a 75,000 mile 4Runner engine from LKQ. The 4Runner had been rear ended and totaled. It was a one owner 2-WD FL vehicle that showed no wear or abuse on the interior. I got pictures of the vehicle, VIN number, the odometer. I managed to get a couple of extra parts from the engine compartment since it was so low mileage. IIRC I opted for an extended warranty that would pay for replacement should that engine fail.

If had to replace the LX470 engine, I would look to repeat the LKQ experience.

I would 100% do a low mileage used engine over a reman using low grade chicom internals and gaskets. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom