Relocating Warn winch control box under hood (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
I am planning on doing this when I install my new Zeon Platinum 12-s. I bought the Warn kit for it. Who’s done this and can you share some pics of where and how you mounted under the hood?

Eric Sarjeant has told us they relocate them using that kit to under the Slee compressor tray.

I just left my Warn control box behind the grille.
A85AD767-A1B3-4EFD-B216-B3FE7F38FA7A.jpeg

Eric Sarjeant has told us they relocate them using that kit to under the Slee compressor tray.

I just left my Warn control box behind the grille.

So do you just leave the power switch on all the time? Or can you get to it through the grill?

There isn't a power switch on the winch I have. There is only a plug for the remote (can be wired or wireless).

There isn't a power switch on the winch I have. There is only a plug for the remote (can be wired or wireless).
I need to RTFM first. The switch on mine is power to the wireless control system. When it’s on, it draws a small amount of power all the time. So you do want to have it off when not in use.

Come Up makes a nice disconnect switch. I have one on the shelf that I'll probably install when warmer weather arrives. I have the Evo, not the Platinum: the switch for the remote is built into the remote handle (press and hold down), not on the solenoid pack.

You don't need the box it comes in.. you can easily remove the solenoid which controls the winch, and the on/off button usually only controls the Negative on the remote hookup, so you can extend that to anywhere you, warn offers a control plug kit as well with longer wires.. (not that you need it since you can simply splice in as long of wire as you need to move it anywhere you want (in the bumper, etc). Or just use the wireless handheld..

there is no magic inside the control box.. taking it out of the box opens up your locations to move it too..

I am in the process of figuring this out now. I have the plain Zeon 12-S. I am running out of room under there with a second battery and dual air compressor. I will let you know what I come up with. My solenoid is a little smaller than yours because I don't have the wireless control.

So do you just leave the power switch on all the time? Or can you get to it through the grill?
You don’t want to power on the wireless control module all the time. It will drain out the battery in days.

There is differences between Warn Zeon vs Zeon Platinum winch. The controller box has an on/off switch to toggle wireless controller module. Normally, you don't switch on the wireless module as it will drain power from battery. But the control module need to be on to connect the handheld wireless controller (winching, lighting and clutch control).

So the placement of the control box need to be easy accessible. I'm also interest on where do you end up install the control box. I'm also planning install a warn zeon 12-s platinum on my LC. On my sequoia, I installed the control box on the ARB bumper.

I get what you are saying.

You can easily remove the plastic cover (I think Toyota calls it a "sight shield") or cut access holes if you prefer to mount the solenoid behind the grille. Or, as suggested above, you could just extend the switch wires and install the remote power switch away from the control box.

It sounds like the OP already has the extension with the longer wires. As I mentioned, Eric Sarjeant's team has done rigs (posted videos where he mentioned) the solenoid pack being relocated under the Slee compressor bracket, so that is an option, if you have an under hood compressor on that mount. If you don't have a second battery, there is plenty of open real estate behind the light on that side of the vehicle. If you don't have a compressor mounted there, you could use a Slee compressor tray to mount it. Slee offers an accessory mount tray that goes between the air box and the firewall that might be a good location. You could also buy or make a bracket to attach the solenoid box to the inside of the fender between the fuse box and the firewall. All seem like reasonable options.

Ps. The Warn VR Evo also has a wireless function, but no switch on the solenoid pack. I haven't noticed any issue with parasitic drain, although as I noted someplace, I have a Come Up battery disconnect that I plan to install inline once the weather gets warmer.

Last edited:
The main reason I went with the Platinum winch is the wireless clutch and not having to reach in through the access hole in the TJM bumper to get to a manual clutch. The other reason is I like the battery status feedback as I currently have only one battery. I also thought the ability to add two other accessories and control them from the remote might be handy. However, I'm not really sure that will be that useful as the power switch for the controller is on the control box which will be under the hood and you really can't leave it on all the time. So having it control lights won't really work as who wants to pop open the hood to switch the controller on so you can use the wireless remote to turn on your lights? That has me thinking about a future relay circuit after i get this thing installed. Here's a good marketing video on the Warn line up.

Warn Winch Line Up

I moved mine on my VR 12S. Granted, the control boxes are different between the VR and Zeon series, however I found a kit to relocate easily. Small outfit in Canada. It was really just longer lines I could have done myself but the cost after you factor in sourcing the wire, connectors, bracket, etc... the kit made sense. If you have a dual battery setup, you'll likely have to put it somewhere else but its an idea. Pictures are posted in the trail taylor hidden winch thread.

I'm looking at buying a Warn VR EVO 12S and I'm wondering if I actually need to relocate the control box using the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount I currently purchased. My 200-series LC is otherwise stock other than suspension and roof rack. Anyone know?

I'm also wondering if I'm going to need two hawse fairleads to get the exterior fairlead to sit flush. Anyone know?

I'm looking at buying a Warn VR EVO 12S and I'm wondering if I actually need to relocate the control box using the Trail Tailor hidden winch mount I currently purchased. My 200-series LC is otherwise stock other than suspension and roof rack. Anyone know?

I'm also wondering if I'm going to need two hawse fairleads to get the exterior fairlead to sit flush. Anyone know?
That is the winch I am running. I guess you dont HAVE to remote mount the control box but it'll be next near impossible to connect the controller if you dont.

You dont need 2 fairleads.

That is the winch I am running. I guess you dont HAVE to remote mount the control box but it'll be next near impossible to connect the controller if you dont.

You dont need 2 fairleads.
Nice! Good to know. Thanks for the quick response.
Where are you in Colorado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom