Relay Testing ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody teach me how to test my 4-wheel drive relay. When I push my 4WD button on the dash(fj-62) I do not get the engagement of the transfer case. I tried switching the hoses on the solenoids to see if one was bad but there was no change. I thought it might be the cold weather but it did warm up to above freezing and no change. The light did not come on in the dash so the t-case is not engageing, and the hubs do lock in. Any help greatly appreciated.

Not off the top of my head, its in the FSM I am sure. Some of the 62 relays are resetible, you will see a little hole, stick something in and pop it. But you really need the FSM to get the procedure to test em.

Do you hear the relay click? (I think you can hear it in a 62)

You need to wait a while to give the engine time to build up vacuum before it will change the T/C. The little thingy (technical term) between the solenoids and the intake manifold acts as a time delay for the vacuum. You should be able to disconnect the vacuum line after the solenoids and feel the vacuum from the solenoid that's working w/ your finger over the nipple on the solenoid. John's right, as usual, the FSM has instructions for checking the relay but you can't get the T/C to change w/ out a vacuum so check your vacuum lines. Odds are that's the solenoids are the source of your problems.

Ming

Thanks guys. I do not hear a click when I push the button so that is what made me think of the relay. I do not have the FSM just Haynes. I do not think it is the solenoids since I switched the lines and got no response that way either, but I will check the vaccuum with my thumb as you suggested and see what happens.

scans of the FSM, relay testing and other info. Sorry not sure where the relay is, my guess driver side kick panel.

43354518.jpg

43354540.jpg

43354514.jpg

hope this helps

John

your gonna wanna right click save, then zoom in to view better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom