RedTEK vs EnviroSafe refrigerant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to recharge the A/C in my Cruiser, and it's R12, which is a pain in the ass to obtain because of the "environmental certifications" or whatever... Anyway, I found a product called "RedTEK" on Amazon (USA) which is supposed to be used to refill R12, but you don't need any special certifications... people seem to like it based on the reviews, but may people have also had it not work. Has anyone on here used RedTEK, and if so, do you recommend I use it?
https://www.amazon.com/REDTEK-Refri...D=61PAcb5A%2BoL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Why not convert it to R134A? Change out the dryer, expansion valve, and the seals, drain and flush the pump, new correct oil for the R134A and new freon.

Why not just use Freeze 12? Now known as EnviroCharge?

I’ve used it and it worked great. No issues. Much rather do that than have to convert.

I’ve had it in my 93 for 4 years now. Still working great! I just wanted a quick and dirty way to get my AC working again with hopes to convert it to R134a but Redtek (R12a) worked so good and is cheap I didnt see the point.

Why not convert it to R134A? Change out the dryer, expansion valve, and the seals, drain and flush the pump, new correct oil for the R134A and new freon.
This...
I just wanted a quick and dirty way to get my AC working again with hopes to convert it to R134a but Redtek (R12a) worked so good and is cheap I didnt see the point.
Thanks for the info, btw!!
Why not just use Freeze 12? Now known as EnviroCharge?
I've considered it, but I've heard bad things about it not working at all. I think I might just pull the trigger on RedTEK.

We use the EnviroCharge a lot with good results. Takes less gas to get the same vent temps and that means lower system pressures that are a bit less strain on compressor.

We use the EnviroCharge a lot with good results. Takes less gas to get the same vent temps and that means lower system pressures that are a bit less strain on compressor.
Now I don't know what to pick lol! Where do you recommend I get Freeze12 if I were to get it? All I can find online is random eBay sellers. I also like the RedTEK kit because it has the leak stop, but wouldn't it be better to just put some UV dye in the refrigerant and then replace the part that the refrigerant originally leaked out of?

Also, in terms of actually doing the recharging, what set of gauges should I use? The ones that come with RedTEK don't look like the ones I've seen used to recharge in the past, as the ones I've seen have a Red, Blue, and Yellow port for high pressure, for pulling a vacuum, and for low pressure. I know nothing about all this A/C stuff. Do R12 systems only have one line instead of two for low and high pressure? I was hoping I could follow this guide but I don't know if it'll be different...

It is EnviroSafe, not EnviroCharge, but either way, it sounds like it is very similar to RedTec. The contents are listed on line for both. I would not use a leak sealer in any system if avoidable. Do the repairs first, then vacuum it down and put in which ever alternative gas you prefer.

It is EnviroSafe, not EnviroCharge, but either way, it sounds like it is very similar to RedTec. The contents are listed on line for both. I would not use a leak sealer in any system if avoidable. Do the repairs first, then vacuum it down and put in which ever alternative gas you prefer.
And I just do that by putting UV due in the system by itself and letting it run?

And I just do that by putting UV due in the system by itself and letting it run?

Yes, that is one way to locate leaks. Put a small charge of UV dye in the system then check fittings, hoses,hard lines and components for signs of leakage. But be aware, you might have a leak in an area that you cant readily see (TXV, or bottom of your evaporator. The dye should let you detect any large easily seen leaks however.

Do NOT use any stop leak products in your A/C system.

EnviroSafe warns against 'charging in a vacuum state'. Which is a win in my book. I've been using it (on Kevin's suggestion) for years with great results. I did some before and after vent temp testing on a 134A system and it dropped the temps a few degrees lower than I could get with the 134A. Like mentioned above, significantly lower system pressure means it is easier on the compressor.

Last edited:
EnviroSafe warns against 'charging in a vacuum state'. Which is a win in my book. I've been using it (on Kevin's suggestion) for years with great results. I did some before and after vent temp testing on a 134A system and it dropped the temps a few degrees lower than I could get with the 134A. Like mentioned above, significantly lower system pressure means it is easier on the compressor.
Thank you all for the help! I just checked their website, you're right. That's nice, as I don't have a vacuum pump and they're expensive to get. I think I'll go for the EnviroSafe instead of RedTEK. So I assume I should get this product? What do I choose on the right side of the webpage where it says "Price/Option"?
Next, which set of gauges should I get? Just need a set that will allow me to easily and properly recharge my A/C...
I'll probably just pick up UV dye and a flashlight at a parts store.

Anything else I will need? I'll probably also need a guide of some sort on how to recharge, since this is different for me....

Thank you all for the help! I just checked their website, you're right. That's nice, as I don't have a vacuum pump and they're expensive to get. I think I'll go for the EnviroSafe instead of RedTEK. So I assume I should get this product? What do I choose on the right side of the webpage where it says "Price/Option"?
Next, which set of gauges should I get? Just need a set that will allow me to easily and properly recharge my A/C...
I'll probably just pick up UV dye and a flashlight at a parts store.

Anything else I will need? I'll probably also need a guide of some sort on how to recharge, since this is different for me....
I buy it on Amazon, and just purchased and used this set of gauges and was happy. Dye is already included in the refrigerant.

FYI, two cans in an empty system seems to give the best performance.

... I think I'll go for the EnviroSafe instead of RedTEK. ...

They are different brands of the same thing. Usually get form Amazon, like https://www.amazon.com/Enviro-Safe-...rd_wg=lYZum&psc=1&refRID=43CS8M3C78EA7SGQZQVJ Or https://www.amazon.com/Cans-REDTEK-...rd_wg=vVHd8&psc=1&refRID=CASGFXYHSR9V7NVG21QQ

... I'll probably also need a guide of some sort on how to recharge, since this is different for me....

The main thing that differs is charge amount, read up on the product you decide on, to correctly decide the amount needed. The other thing to understand, almost no shops will work on the A/C system with this type of refrigerant in it, so you need to commit to working on it yourself, or pick another refrigerant.

Not sure if I need to create a new thread for this, but I've been talking with my local garage and they said that with my tune up and inspection, they can convert my A/C from R12 to R134 and replace the leaky part for me, and he said that generally conversions make the A/C a bit less cool but I was wondering how much "warmer" it is. Anyone with R134 conversions have comments on this?

So you add this stuff into a system that is NOT under vacuum? That means that it has air at atmospheric pressure in it prior to filling? If so, doesn't that mean you also have whatever moisture is contained in that atmospheric air?

What am I missing?

So you add this stuff into a system that is NOT under vacuum? That means that it has air at atmospheric pressure in it prior to filling? If so, doesn't that mean you also have whatever moisture is contained in that atmospheric air?

What am I missing?

Best to follow the direction for the refrigerant that you choose. But yes, most HC refrigerant is not moisture sensitive and is recommended to be charged at atmospheric pressure.

My cruiser was running on no refrigerant for long enough for the compressor to blow up. Had my repair shop replace the compressor, drier, and expansion valve, and they converted it to R134. The old refrigerant leaked out of a condenser pipe o-ring so they replaced that too. I can say that, if done correctly, a good R134 conversion works really well. The A/C is colder than I can ever remember it being.

You can charge a system under vacuum with a hydrocarbon refrigerant such as RedTek or Envirosafe.

If you have pulled a vacuum on your system because it was opened to the atmosphere for repair, it is recommended that a liquid charge (upside down can) to the suction (low) side of the compressor should occur initially with the compressor off. Then one should wait about 30 minutes for the liquid to boil off to gaseous state and then move on to the next step with the compressor on. The use of an AC gauge set helps greatly to regulate the whole process and permit the system to be charged in a more precise and controlled manner.

I wrote a detailed post about using Hydrocarbon AC Refrigerants which can be found in the link below.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom