RedArc Tow Pro Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why anyone wouldn't just solder or use the heat shrink-solder crimp combos on the standard harness is beyond me. Every Toyota comes with the harness/plug, it's usually in the glove box.

Inaugural tow. Did great. The Redarc was making me a little nervous in that it calibrated for a long time...but then worked perfectly.

I can also confirm that the Redarc TPH-021 harness worked perfectly for my 2013 LX570. I did ground the white wire that came with the eyelet.

View attachment 2599523View attachment 2599524

I can't thank you enough for this placement recommendation (and similar posts elsewhere on this placement here on mud)!

I was fretting about which switch blank I should use in my 2013 Land Cruiser J200 for my Tow Pro Elite. Well, frustrated more than fretting, because I can't see or reach any of the blanks easily behind the steering wheel: Line of sight and "quick draw" in a dicey trailer sway situation were two priorities, neither of which were going to be well addressed by the switch blanks. And regardless of which blank I picked, I was sure I'd be hitting the control with my knee from time to time. I'm also a "drilling in a highly visible spot is an absolute last resort" kind of owner: A mounting location outside of the blanks would be a tough sell, though I was getting closer and closer to putting a cig lighter sized hole in my dash somewhere. At least, until I found this post!

This controller placement was perfect on my rig: I can see the controller and setting clear as day, reach it easily (and without looking down by just running my hand up the parking brake until it connects), it is very much out of the way from accidental bumps, and no drilling required (except for a small cig lighter adapter piece that could easily be replaced). AND, the controller can be seen/reached by the passenger if necessary.

* chief's kiss *

I actually have two cig outlets stacked on top of each other at this location, so getting rid of one was a no-brainer. I can't honestly think of a better spot. It took me a couple hours, but I was careful and thorough with the install (still newish to ripping body panels off and freakish about taping down wires to reduce rattling/snagging). I mounted the module horizontally at the top of the driver's kick panel using screws (size #8) on just the bottom set of holes. It's really solid and up out of the way from accidental foot strikes. Also, easily accessible if you need to diagnose anything. I'm going to start my own thread for my general towing experience soon, likely to include more details on the install (including more details on the white cig lighter sleeve mods).

And, I can confirm cross-over on a couple things for the 2013 LCJ200:
  • The same wiring harness (TPH-021) worked for my factory brake controller plug (in a blank behind the left-hand switch panel, in US spec)
  • I too grounded my harness just because I didn't want to f*** around and find out with trailer brakes; I didn't see any harm in double-grounding
  • The switch blank that came with the Tow Pro Elite fit the cig outlet (with the white sleeve for the cig lighter adapted for the blank notch, as previously noted); I did not end up using the TPSI-002 switch blank
  • The controller calibration took about 10-15 min of driving
Thanks again!

tempImagewjSPKt.jpg

tempImageT9oaAO.jpg

tempImageOgavcU.jpg

tempImageTr1ZMS.jpg

tempImage9pBr5I.jpg

I just performed the testing procedure that REDARC supplies to test the controller and it tested out as per the write-up.
REF:
Tow-Pro Elite Testing Procedure - https://www.redarcelectronics.com/au/resources/brake-controllers-faqs/how-to-test-tow-pro/

In case anyone wants to try this I used a Sylvania 1156 bulb and socket I had lying around for years.
The bulb is 12.8V/26.9W.
REF:
SYLVANIA 1156 Long Life Mini Bulb, 2 Pack - https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/sylvania-1156-long-life-mini-bulb-2-pack/1156LL.BP2.html

It shows the unit working in manual mode which obviously isn't a real dynamic test but I guess is better than no test at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom