Redarc brake install fail. Wrong dash blank. 2020 200 series panel removal pics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I must have ordered the wrong dash blank. Need to call Redarc. But if anything else I am posting pictures to document how the dash comes apart. I have mixed history of taking apart interior body parts without messing something up. Plus loosening a panel that says “SRS Airbag” makes me cringe. I did remove the (two) screws that hold the knee airbag panel so I could move it down a bit. But I successfully tore into the dash to unsuccessfully install the Redark brake controller. I did buy a $15 plastic trim tool set. It helped to use the straight flat tool about 3/4” wide. I did not find a lot of pictures of the dash panel removal and especially where the clip locations are. That would have helped me feel better about diving into this. So here are some pictures that may help future do it yourselfers.

389F1C03-436F-417C-BA1D-F6EE08025B2B.jpeg

6405889F-3973-46C1-91BE-AC0DE80ED5CA.jpeg

9BC78DDD-ECE6-40EA-BF8C-A0FBB9B1F682.jpeg

742D0524-7F22-4B34-9A99-D39E11E41775.jpeg

AA7B72D9-E074-40F2-924A-4C8DD6237C09.jpeg

I must have ordered the wrong dash blank. Need to call Redarc. But if anything else I am posting pictures to document how the dash comes apart. I have mixed history of taking apart interior body parts without messing something up. Plus loosening a panel that says “SRS Airbag” makes me cringe. I did remove the (two) screws that hold the knee airbag panel so I could move it down a bit. But I successfully tore into the dash to unsuccessfully install the Redark brake controller. I did buy a $15 plastic trim tool set. It helped to use the straight flat tool about 3/4” wide. I did not find a lot of pictures of the dash panel removal and especially where the clip locations are. That would have helped me feel better about diving into this. So here are some pictures that may help future do it yourselfers.

View attachment 2362071

View attachment 2362072

View attachment 2362073

View attachment 2362075

View attachment 2362076

9B04E9D3-AF40-4FA5-9DA4-7E7B9AE3F10C.jpeg

874C63F4-7ACF-4800-ABEA-F6A2F804904B.jpeg

62434B2E-A023-463B-A5EC-D8CA382F7C73.jpeg

7CC1962A-1942-4B91-9DE5-9B51E2B6EA49.jpeg

8F78F3BC-0742-46EF-86D8-3B32E9FF0853.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I'll be doing this soon so it's good to see how it comes apart. Buying a Lance 2285 TT and prep includes installing this controller, an LRA 24 gallon aux fuel tank, towing brakes, constant load springs, airbags, etc...

Thanks for posting. I'll be doing this soon so it's good to see how it comes apart. Buying a Lance 2285 TT and prep includes installing this controller, an LRA 24 gallon aux fuel tank, towing brakes, constant load springs, airbags, etc...

I thought it may help.. Actually very easy. Only (two) screws to remove down low to loosen that panel.. Even though the joints look tight they do move easily with the plastic tool. I suppose you could use anything similar. I also had a picture of test fitting the control module behind the dash. Snug place and velcro should work fine. I did order the wrong dash blank. The correct one is posted above. Redarc TPSI-002.. I ordered and picked that up at my local 4 Wheel Parts store.. Sale today they pay sales tax.. Not much on an $8 part but it was a good excuse to order the ARB rear drawer system!

I initially installed the control box in that same location, but it interferes with installation of the TPMS reset switches. I had to move it up a bit to fit everything. Some people don't like it in this application, but I used heavy duty industrial Velcro.

For anyone removing airbags that hasn't done this before, please disconnect your negative battery lead and let the system sit for a few minutes before messing with airbag removal. I probably wait too long, since I always wait 20 minutes, but I figure better safe than sorry with explosives.

Last edited:
I initially installed the control box in that same location, but it interferes with installation of the TPMS reset switches. I had to move it up a bit to fit everything. Some people don't like it in this application, but I used heavy duty industrial Velcro.

For anyone removing airbags that hasn't done this before, please disconnect your negative battery lead and let the system sit for a few minutes before messing with airbag removal. I probably wait too long, since I always wait 20 minutes, but I figure better safe than sorry with explosives.

I temporarily placed the unit in that position to check the fit. Thanks for pointing out that it may interfere with the TPMS reset switch. So that location to mount the controller worked for you as long as it is positioned high? This also made me look in the manual and read up on the TPMS system!

Airbag... I did not remove or unplug the airbag. I just loosened the panel it is in to move it down a bit. It seems I can do all the Redarc brake install without removing it. Did you remove the airbag?

Continuation with the right dash blank. I used Velcro to attach the Redarc box and temporarily inserted a piece of cardboard to slide it in position. There was mention that this location may interfere with the TPMS reset switch. I did not see that as an issue on my model. There is a good picture of the inside dash Toyota plug with the brown marked blank. One wire (dash lights) with the Toyota harness is not used with the Redarc controller. I shortened the harnesses up quite a bit. Considered soldering together but my shrink tubes seem to have pretty thin walls. I felt the thicker shrink connectors would work better. Tested with the trailer and all the lights work correctly.... So there’s that! Will check brakes when I get the new WD hitch setup. I placed it on the left side so I can easily see it. Turned out really clean looking.

C256ACF0-F34A-421F-AE37-DD5DE6A907B4.jpeg

8511C8FE-57E8-407B-B581-7125ECA674B7.jpeg

113AD152-B214-4A69-B195-63D7E5EA74EA.jpeg

B7B1F6E6-D482-4D31-9955-F6E88FD8BB36.jpeg

Continuation with the right dash blank. I used Velcro to attach the Redarc box and temporarily inserted a piece of cardboard to slide it in position. There was mention that this location may interfere with the TPMS reset switch. I did not see that as an issue on my model. There is a good picture of the inside dash Toyota plug with the brown marked blank. One wire (dash lights) with the Toyota harness is not used with the Redarc controller. I shortened the harnesses up quite a bit. Considered soldering together but my shrink tubes seem to have pretty thin walls. I felt the thicker shrink connectors would work better. Tested with the trailer and all the lights work correctly.... So there’s that! Will check brakes when I get the new WD hitch setup. I placed it on the left side so I can easily see it. Turned out really clean looking.

View attachment 2367563

View attachment 2367565

View attachment 2367566

View attachment 2367567

4AF97CBE-EF68-49DE-BD12-A6E20C403822.jpeg

7840CCD8-AE86-4B4B-A04F-376BE2A3E96D.jpeg

0BA77862-1143-4CCF-BD72-F2760E1D25D6.jpeg

DD1CB43C-5AF7-4163-8F61-81C0D8F8BF4E.jpeg

I just did the same 2 days ago. Did you install the plastic washer in between the switch plate and knob? Drove after install and I didn’t see It do the calibration according to the manual. Emailed redarc and I was told that a trailer needed to be connected. I thought the manual says calibration happens when the vehicle is turned on?

I just did the same 2 days ago. Did you install the plastic washer in between the switch plate and knob? Drove after install and I didn’t see It do the calibration according to the manual. Emailed redarc and I was told that a trailer needed to be connected. I thought the manual says calibration happens when the vehicle is turned on?
I did not install that washer. Looked like that may be needed if not in the blank.. maybe just a drilled hole at a some other location. I could be wrong but would be easy to put in there. When I first started the cruiser I saw the alternating light colors which I think means calibration. But I wasn’t moving and it stopped after a few minutes.

Yeah, calibration needs a trailer. Take some time and drive around the backroads and don't do what I did - jump on the freeway and head out so that the calibration hadn't fully completed by the time I exited.

Hey Guys, my name is Mark Bruce from REDARC Electronics, I'm sure I've been in contact with a number of you from this forum offering technical assistance however here I am. I personally have been with REDARC for some 14+ years. Being a qualified auto-electrician myself with over 30 years of experience in the trade, wholesale, design and manufacturing business, I am part or our US customer support team and am able to assist you all with product selection, tech support and much more.
At REDARC, we offer the best, and I mean the BEST, product support in the industry, including technical assistance with product function, application and installation, and I know this to be a great advantage to y'all when you can simply email or pick up the phone and get support from the manufacturer immediately. I hope I'm not overstepping boundries here but seriously, I'm here to help and welcome your contact at anytime - keep in mind their may be a time difference as I'm currently in Western Australia ; ) mbruce@redarcelectronics.com
Stay safe everybody and please don't hesitate reaching out should you have any questions or are chasing information and/or assistance with anything REDARC...

Hey Guys, my name is Mark Bruce from REDARC Electronics, I'm sure I've been in contact with a number of you from this forum offering technical assistance however here I am. I personally have been with REDARC for some 14+ years. Being a qualified auto-electrician myself with over 30 years of experience in the trade, wholesale, design and manufacturing business, I am part or our US customer support team and am able to assist you all with product selection, tech support and much more.
At REDARC, we offer the best, and I mean the BEST, product support in the industry, including technical assistance with product function, application and installation, and I know this to be a great advantage to y'all when you can simply email or pick up the phone and get support from the manufacturer immediately. I hope I'm not overstepping boundries here but seriously, I'm here to help and welcome your contact at anytime - keep in mind their may be a time difference as I'm currently in Western Australia ; ) mbruce@redarcelectronics.com
Stay safe everybody and please don't hesitate reaching out should you have any questions or are chasing information and/or assistance with anything REDARC...

Thanks for the support. Thought I’d ask publicly instead of emailing in case anyone else has the same question. If you tow more than one trailer, how long after switching trailers should it take for the unit to recalibrate, or does it recalibrate? I have a 1,000lb Kamparoo and a 6500lb TT, both with electric brakes because the Cub has been upgraded to a 3500lb axle.

Thanks for the support. Thought I’d ask publicly instead of emailing in case anyone else has the same question. If you tow more than one trailer, how long after switching trailers should it take for the unit to recalibrate, or does it recalibrate? I have a 1,000lb Kamparoo and a 6500lb TT, both with electric brakes because the Cub has been upgraded to a 3500lb axle.
Hello Chip, thank you for your question. The calibration process only happens the first time the controller is installed. This process is so the TowPro can establish the correct oreintation for which it's been mounted and too, which way is forward! The adjustment on the control knob is so to adjust for a suitable braking intensity vs trailer weight. Changing trailers need only a sight adjustment if any, so you don't feel the trailer pulling you up too soon nor pushing you through the stop sign. What I refer to as the 'Sweet Spot' when braking you don't even know you have a trailer on the back! Hey, I hope this helps answer you question, only too happy to pitch in when I can... Cheers and have a great night!

Hello Chip, thank you for your question. The calibration process only happens the first time the controller is installed. This process is so the TowPro can establish the correct oreintation for which it's been mounted and too, which way is forward! The adjustment on the control knob is so to adjust for a suitable braking intensity vs trailer weight. Changing trailers need only a sight adjustment if any, so you don't feel the trailer pulling you up too soon nor pushing you through the stop sign. What I refer to as the 'Sweet Spot' when braking you don't even know you have a trailer on the back! Hey, I hope this helps answer you question, only too happy to pitch in when I can... Cheers and have a great night!

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom