Recoverable Running Board Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cclyons

SILVER Star
Threads
I just took over a 2000 Land Cruiser that I’m cleaning up. It spent 10 years in the Northeast, and the underbody was not protected from the elements. I removed the running boards and curious if some of the brackets are restorable.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! Here are pics of the two worst:

90731E5A-6DCF-4FF1-AFE2-6FE28B387F5F.jpeg

90400DFC-A3B9-45E4-A460-F90C8D28D71D.jpeg

3202B2BE-B5A3-45DE-9F39-CE4AD04FA4E7.jpeg

BF84E716-414C-4097-B121-6C00D7F1FE46.jpeg

I would wire brush off the rust and then spray them with Rust-Oleum or Krylon primer then paint. Get a wire wheel brush for a grinder or drill to make the work easier. Or ask the forum for some free brackets from someone who took off the running boards.

Last edited:
Naval Jelly, can be found on the shelf at most auto parts stores. Turns the rust black which can then be painted over once the jelly is washed off with water.

Yeah, I'm doing that to her belly today and tomorrow. :confused: I'll def brush, sand, and coat them. Would you put any sort of bonding/filler material where the metal has separated?

Thank you for replying!!

Edit: sorry, new to this... :bang: @99Cruiser

Naval Jelly, can be found on the shelf at most auto parts stores. Turns the rust black which can then be painted over once the jelly is washed off with water.
I'll check it out!! Any sort of filler or bonding material you'd slide in those cracks?

Thank you!!

I'll check it out!! Any sort of filler or bonding material you'd slide in those cracks?

Thank you!!
No, but I would hit it was self etching primer once you have it all cleaned up. The self etching stuff has acid in it, so that when you spray the paint down it makes a strong bond to the surface you just painted. Good luck, rust sucks!

Another option is to use electrolysis if you want 100% rust removal, not sure how strong your hatred of rust is, but this is pretty easy and works really well.

why bother with those? find a good used set, lots of people have removed their running boards, there is virtually no resale market for them

Have a rust free set in VA, just pay shipping, I'm sure they will fit in a flat rate box....rust free with the bolts and everything.

Seems like a waste of time. If those brackets look like fried chicken, I can only imagine how the rest of that truck looks like underneath. Looks too far gone to mess with to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom