Recommendations on stock tire, good AT & in deep snow (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a bunch, but getting inconsistent answers. I'm looking for recommendations on tire and size for a stock truck. No rubbing, good road quality, very good in snow. Don't care how aggressive they look or don't look. I typically run wrangler duratracs, and like them fine, but think I have limitations on size. Thanks

Michelin Defender LTX

I'd be on board, but it doesn't have the 3-peak rating, and you can bet it would if it qualified.

I've been looking into the BFG Trail Terrain lately. Stock 285/60R18 doesn't present a lot of options in this tire category.

Nokian Outpost AT in 275/65-18 (corrected)

Close enough size and they're really good tires. I'm running them on my 100 and my Disco2. I've relied on Nokians for two decades.
This new Outpost AT line is better than the old Rotiivas at holding up to the heat.

$0.02

Last edited:
"close enough" is subjective. Slightly narrower I could see working, but narrower as well as less tall?

I typo'd the size, it's an LT 275/65.

You'll have to pick which attribute is most important: good all-terrain, good road quality, very good in deep snow, stock size. While not mutually exclusive, no tire is ideal at all those. The Tire Rack will tell you which brands/models are available in the sizes that fit stock and you can find those sizes in the tire and wheel database here on Mud in the FAQs. Once you narrow down the choices with size and your most important attribute(s), run a search on here with those brands and models and you'll get lots of good specific advice. But, no tire thread will ever have consistent answers so you'll have to look for trends in advice.

To join one trend in advice,, I'm on the Defender LTX bandwagon because I value good road manners. But it is not an AT tire and doesn't have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol.

I typo'd the size, it's an LT 275/65.
Thanks for the clarification. Much better option if staying out of sand, and may even be better than a stock size in snow.

If you want stock size (285/60/18) the aforementioned Defender and the Geolandar G015 are vg choices. Drop to a 275/65 and there are many more (and arguably a better size for snow). YRMV.

I run BFG AT KO2 in LT 285/65R18 (on my LC) and Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my pickup. Love both.

I like the all around performance including road manners, quiet ride, camping/overland to include deep snow on occasion.

MPGs aren’t a priority for me, as there are better tires for on road use only. I don’t ride mud, but haven’t had issues with random encounters with muddy roads.

I've run what most people consider to be the Top 3 most recommended tires on the forum. Here is my feedback, in no particular order...

1. Falken Wildpeak AT3
Pros: Low road-noise for AT, aggressive looks, great snow traction, great wet traction, 3 peak rating
Cons: Heavier than others across all sizes

2. BFG KO2
Pros: Medium road-noise for AT as long as you rotate often, aggresive looks, great snow traction, easily found on FB marketplace if you ever need a spare
Cons: Can get loud once past 50% of treadlife, not as good a Wildpeaks in rain

3. Michelin Defender
Pros: Lowest noise of all, longest tread life, excelent in snow, excellent in rain,
Cons: Looks are ho-hum normal

While I bought some low-mileage KO2s off FB marketplace for cheap, when I buy new tires again, I'll be going Wildpeak.

I live in Denver and drive to Vail a lot during the winter. Been very happy with my Falken Wildpeak AT3W's, they handled several large storms without any issues at all

Falken doesn't make any tires in stock LC200 285/60R18 size

I'd be on board, but it doesn't have the 3-peak rating, and you can bet it would if it qualified.

I've been looking into the BFG Trail Terrain lately. Stock 285/60R18 doesn't present a lot of options in this tire category.
Have you driven on Michelin LTX in snow? They're very capable and easily as capable (moreso) than some 3PMS-rated AT tires I've driven on, including BFG and Cooper. Combine that with perfect road manners and crazy long treadlife, I'd say this is the #1 choice for a tire that doesn't need to do a lot of off-roading.

Have you driven on Michelin LTX in snow? They're very capable and easily as capable (moreso) than some 3PMS-rated AT tires I've driven on, including BFG and Cooper. Combine that with perfect road manners and crazy long treadlife, I'd say this is the #1 choice for a tire that doesn't need to do a lot of off-roading.

I haven't, but my point stands. I'm not saying they are terrible in snow, I'm saying there is some reason they didn't certify that tire to a well-known and clearly sought-after level.

Without knowing what the reasons are, and needing good winter performance for ski trips, I'll look for a tire that does have it.

Cooper ST Maxx. Game over.

Toyo AT3s as my current top 2 AT tire pick with a solid balance of qualities that I believe meets the OPs priorities. Available in OEM size but in a slightly higher XL load range. 3PMSF rated. Standing by to see what KO3s bring.

1685587529841.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom