Recommendation for 6pt socket sets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been building up my tools over the past few years. Most of the sockets I have are 12 point and my understanding is that 6 pt is ideal to minimize potential for stripping.

Any recommendations on best source for quality 6 pt socket sets(snap on not required but s*** not desired)?

I could go to town in harbor freight - I would think it's hard to make a s***ty socket but who knows (I recognize that a socket used with an impact wrench could be deadly if it explodes but I'm just talking non impact sockets). I could pay more but would like to find out if it's worth it to pay more etc.

I definitely don't want to buy another set of sockets after this so if someone could advise on best bang for the buck on sockets, I'd be much obliged.

Craftsman is good for the money... There is a big difference in good hand tools... Northern and Harbor Freight have some pretty cheap stuff but with hand tools you get what you pay for... If you get a chance to use Snap On or Matco tools you will see how much nicer they are... Watch Sears and pick up a good Craftsman set when they go on sale...

My Matco Impact sockets have to be replaced under warranty frequently, my Craftsman rarely, and my Snap On stuff never brakes. My tools are used every day in a professional shop. I would vote for Craftsman as I use a lot of their sockets and they hold up pretty well.

I buy Craftsman just because it's way easier to get it warrentee exchanged on a Sunday afternoon. Chasing down the Snap-on guy to exchange tools is a PITA if you don't wrench in a shop serviced by the truck. For a weekend wrencher Craftsman is plenty good enough.

Nick

I buy Craftsman just because it's way easier to get it warrentee exchanged on a Sunday afternoon. Chasing down the Snap-on guy to exchange tools is a PITA if you don't wrench in a shop serviced by the truck. For a weekend wrencher Craftsman is plenty good enough.

Nick

Agreed. Craftsman professional (fully polished) wrenches are very nice.

Many of the Craftsman tools are made in China now. I have not bought any Craftsman tools in over 2 years.

Kobalt brand currently available Lowes is made by the same manufacturer (Danaher corp) as: Matco, Craftsman, Allen, Napa, KD Tools, and other brands. Nice quality and price.

Kobalt brand currently available Lowes is made by the same manufacturer (Danaher corp) as: Matco, Craftsman, Allen, Napa, KD Tools, and other brands. Nice quality and price.

Interesting information indeed.

Do you know what type of warranty/return policy they have?

I have really good Matco and Mac reps. and I generally buy my tools from them, but knowing this information is interesting indeed.

Thanks.
-onur

Interesting information indeed.

Do you know what type of warranty/return policy they have?

I have really good Matco and Mac reps. and I generally buy my tools from them, but knowing this information is interesting indeed.

Thanks.
-onur

Kobalt brand tools at Lowe's has a lifetime warranty on them. If you look on the back of the packaging, it should state that is is Made in USA and have the Danaher name on it. The original Kobalt wrenches Lowes had many years ago were made by Williams, a division on Snap on.

Napa and KD tools requires you to keep the receipt for warranty.

Mac is made by Stanley Proto.

Welcome to Danaher

Hi all,

Question; may i use a Cr-V socket as an impact socket?
Thanx

It can be done, but would not use it for that purpose long term.

Cr-V are brittle and can break when using an impact.
Also, it is hard on the impact anvil.

I used to work in a shop full of thieving ex-cons and all my tools were randomized as a result. I have sockets from SnapOn, S&K, Craftsman, KD, Proto, MAC and many more.
After 25 years of use, they are all good. I haven't broken or worn out any of them. Don't worry about it. Just buy them.

Hi all,

Question; may i use a Cr-V socket as an impact socket?
Thanx

I have it on good authority from a tool repair guy that you can do this if you use a short impact extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom