Recently acquired PTO winch - I have questions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

piecemeal

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I stumbled across this winch. I already have a period correct Belleview on my 74 and was trying to decide what to do with this setup. I could part with it as is or refurb it and maybe then part with it? Anybody have any experience refurbing these guys??does it look like I'm missing any key components?

IMG_4049[1].JPG

IMG_4048[1].JPG

IMG_4033[1].JPG

Also, it's a solid unit, but has corrosion on the outside. Is that a function of the zinc coating wearing off or something else?? TWhat's the best way to clean that level of funkiness off the metal (obviously the winch line is shot and will be removed....)??

Also have the t-case that the pto assembly came off of too and some other odd unit I'm not sure goes with the setup....
IMG_4051[1].JPG
IMG_4052[1].JPG

Just taking about the PTO and winch .
It is very oxidized, but not impossible to recover.
At a first glance it seams that you are missing only the cabin commands .
To refurbish it is not that difficult , you need some time ,and probably remake some parts.
The PTO is a good one , for a 5 speed transfer box .
Not sure the price in USA for these things but in Europe they can demand a good 1000€ or more complete and refurbished.
If you look back in this forum some pages you will find my thread showing refurbishment of my PTO and winch .
It is the later version for 80 series , but in principal and many parts are same ,similar.
Good work

Although it is very oxidized and corroded, a complete PTO winch with no cracked or broken feet could be worth at least $500 when it comes with the transmission and transfer case. They are rare and hard to find in any condition.

The PTO is a good one , for a 5 speed transfer box .

These are three different PTOs used in the 40 series. Upper left is mid 1963 to 7/80. Upper right is 8/80-9/82. The lowe is 10/82+. The upper right and bottom one work on a split transfer case. The bottom one moved the shifter to the front side for clearance when using a H55F five speed is it longer. Both split cases will bolt to the split transfer case used with the H55F. The upper left only fits the earlier one piece transfer case. The. Just for reference the one above appears to be the one piece style.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

Last edited:
These are three different PTOs used in the 40 series. Upper left is mid 1963 to 7/80. Upper right is 8/80-9/82. The lowe is 10/82+. The upper right and bottom one work on a split transfer case. The bottom one moved the shifter to the front side for clearance when using a H55F five speed is it longer. Both split cases will bolt to the split transfer case used with the H55F. The upper left only fits the earlier one piece transfer case. The. Just for reference the one above appears to be the one piece style.
View attachment 2494704
Upper left 63'-80' but only fits one piece case? Wouldn't the split case be in the years ranging from 75'-80'? There is always these mystery details on these units. Yes there is a pto winch thread with info, but there is a lot of detailed information such as this that is either contradicting or missing entirely.

Upper left 63'-80' but only fits one piece case? Wouldn't the split case be in the years ranging from 75'-80'? There is always these mystery details on these units. Yes there is a pto winch thread with info, but there is a lot of detailed information such as this that is either contradicting or missing entirely.

The one piece transfer had a change to wider gears and low range ratio changed 4/75. The split case started 8/80. The tailshaft went from sixteen spline to nineteen spline at that time.

The one piece transfer had a change to wider gears and low range ratio changed 4/75. The split case started 8/80. The tailshaft went from sixteen spline to nineteen spline at that time.

When you say " tail shaft" you're referring to the t case rear output shaft (to rear differential)? I know the transmission output shaft was a different spline between the earlier 3 speed and later transmissions but not sure when that change occurred. The loose pto gear I have to install is 16 spline.

I lugged 3 pto winches home with me last night and I am trying to determine which one I am going to use on my 1/75' fj40.

When you say " tail shaft" you're referring to the t case rear output shaft (to rear differential)? I know the transmission output shaft was a different spline between the earlier 3 speed and later transmissions but not sure when that change occurred. The loose pto gear I have to install is 16 spline.

I lugged 3 pto winches home with me last night and I am trying to determine which one I am going to use on my 1/75' fj40.

I am refering to the tailshaft on the transmission. if your 75 is stock and from amarket with a four speed not a three speed you will need a PTO gear with sixteen spline if your trasnfer doesn't have one already. US market most only had a spacer. Here is a couple pictures of the gear.
IMG_20200302_105620001.jpg
IMG_20200302_105606728.jpg

The PTO itself would be from a mid 63 when the J30 threee speed started until 8/80 and the start of the split transfer case and nineteen spline tailshaft on the transmission. Exception would be the few markets that contuinued with a three speed and one piece transfer case until 10/82.

The one piece transfer case and split transfer case used different PTO. Upper left is from a one piece transfer case. The other two are from split transfer cases. All were from 4X series.
IMG_20191229_172509044.jpg

besides the outer shape being different the lower hole on the left side is offset on the one piece transfer case PTO.

Yes, bone stock. Unless you talk to SOR, their answer to any issue no matter what it is is that "your truck MUST be modified". Anyways, yes I have the 16 spline gear. And I need to install it. It appears that all of my pto assemblies are of the earlier type. I got lucky l, as even the stud for the trans is on one of the linkages.

16072816279917152102912228745044.jpg

16072816386304905734217695190033.jpg

16072818837276972568991691663445.jpg

Last edited:
I am refering to the tailshaft on the transmission. if your 75 is stock and from amarket with a four speed not a three speed you will need a PTO gear with sixteen spline if your trasnfer doesn't have one already. US market most only had a spacer. Here is a couple pictures of the gear.
The PTO itself would be from a mid 63 when the J30 threee speed started until 8/80 and the start of the split transfer case and nineteen spline tailshaft on the transmission. Exception would be the few markets that contuinued with a three speed and one piece transfer case until 10/82.

The one piece transfer case and split transfer case used different PTO. Upper left is from a one piece transfer case. The other two are from split transfer cases. All were from 4X series.

besides the outer shape being different the lower hole on the left side is offset on the one piece transfer case PTO.

What do you know about the iron wedges? I know there are two large wedges that sit underneath the rear angle iron on the winch head, but what about the front? It looks like the front will sit flat on the front bumper, but one of the winch heads I have, has a smaller iron wedge that was bolted to the front. Sadly I only have one of the small wedges.
20201206_180054.jpg

What do you know about the iron wedges? I know there are two large wedges that sit underneath the rear angle iron on the winch head, but what about the front? It looks like the front will sit flat on the front bumper, but one of the winch heads I have, has a smaller iron wedge that was bolted to the front. Sadly I only have one of the small wedges. View attachment 2518018

Would have been two small wedges that were on the bottom side of the frame below the larger ones on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom