Rebuilt Engine Oil Change frequency (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The engine was rebuilt over 1 year ago. Then it was in the shop for bodywork. At what intervals do you change oil for proper break-in? If my memory serves me correct,the shop said first 100 miles,then 400, then 1000 then 3500 right on.
Also,how much oil does that 2F motor hold w/ filter change? Seems I saw somewhere it was 8 1/2 quarts! :eek:

it is all a matter of opinion!

Yes i hold something like 7-8 quarts with filter change. I went to do my first oil change on the cruzer with only 6 quarts on hand! :doh:

Stew

Your engine shop's recomendation of 100 miles then again at 400 miles is practical. a freshly rebuilt engine makes a little bit of metal during the first few hundred miles of breakin. I personally like to put the miles on fairly quickly. Like in one or two trips. That way you minimize the number of thermal cycles your engine goes through during initial breakin. After 400 miles or so you could go to a regular change interval of 2500 miles. After 2500 miles regular petroleum motor oil starts to sublimate leaving a varnish inside the engine. Once you have over 10000 miles its fairly safe to switch over to synthetic(the 2F seems to like castrol syntec) and use 6000 mile intervals for changes. Use the best filters you can get. Fram from pep boys are adequate but the baldwin and hastings filters are the best.

DURRING THE BREAK IN YOU WANT TO TAKE IT THROUGH THE WHOLE RPM BAND. FOR INSTANCE, DON'T JUST CRUISE ON THE HIGHWAY FOR YOUR BREAKIN PERIOD. CYCLE THROUGH LOW RPM AND HIGH RPM.

F*rd and 2f use the same oil filter, and don't spend more on a baldwin than a hastings or visa-verse, because they are both the same filter made at the same place, filter paper is basically the same. The only important difference is the paint on the filter can. Also, if you buy any other toyota filter that says baldwin, fuel..air etc, you're usually buying nothing more than oem. I know this because when I was going to college a few years back I was a supervisor at baldwins, one of the lines I was in charge of made the filter "core" and another line I ran did the repack, take a filter out of a toyota box, wipe the inkjet off and re-inkjet it with baldwin markings and put it in a baldwin box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom