Rebuilt 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
According to the P.O. the 2F engine was rebuilt in the '76 FJ55 we are restoring just prior to getting rid of it. It was not in a condition to start when we picked it up so we did not see it running. When we filled the radiator in preparation for starting it the other day it leaked badly from every gasket in the cooling system! I took the thermostat housing off and the water pump off and found large bits of the old gasket still attached to the parts! There were new gaskets as well but NO sealer.
Do I dare to start and run this engine without going through ALL the gaskets especially the head gasket?
I want to start it so I can check compression to decide if we keep this engine or do the swap, but if the head gasket is replaced with the same attention to detail as the remaining gaskets I won't get a true reading (if the engine runs at all).
We did get a bag from the P.O. that still had some gaskets left from an engine gasket set as well as a box of old bearings and other stuff that seem to indicate that something was done.
What's the opinion of others out there? Would you 1) start it as is, or 2) replace the head gasket and then start it or 3) give up now and replace the engine? I have an F engine that I can drop in or I have a 3B diesel that needs a rebuild that I can use in it.

The lack of sealer on the gaskets doesn't mean anything - most gasket are designed to be used wo/ sealer. I would check the torque on the head bolts and rocker arm assembly, check the valve clearance, turn it over by hand a couple times, turn it over with the starter w/ the coil disconnected - if all sounds good, fire it up and watch for leaks.

60wag,
Done all the above, the issue that concerned me was the old gasket material that remains on the parts. IF there is old head gasket material then the head gasket cannot seal properly and I cannot get accurate compression readings. That is my concern. I may have a good engine but poor compression readings due to parts not properly prepared prior to assembly.

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=6401;start=msg51688#msg51688 date=1066341593]
60wag,
Done all the above, the issue that concerned me was the old gasket material that remains on the parts. IF there is old head gasket material then the head gasket cannot seal properly and I cannot get accurate compression readings. That is my concern. I may have a good engine but poor compression readings due to parts not properly prepared prior to assembly.
[/quote]

Then in order to satisfy your curiosity, you will have to remove the cylinder head, plain and simple. Drain the coolant, and get out the wrenches and the book!

Have a blast!!

This will be the only way that you know what has been, and not been done to your engine/truck.

While you have the head off, send it out and have it checked. Would be pretty silly to not do that, considering the work needed to be performed in the event that something is not right with the valves/seats or the mating surface.

-OR-

Like the other person said, check the head bolts, make sure that they are torqued properly, back off the valve adjusters, check the torque on the rocker stand bolts, then set the valve clearances. Fill with coolant, and bar the engine over. Make sure that nothing hangs up, that it rotates smooth, make sure that you have oil in it, and fire it up. Make sure that you have oil pressure, and that oil is flowing on the rocker arms. I leave the rocker cover off the engine, on initial start-up, to verify oil delivery to the rocker arms.

Good luck!

How far can you throw the PO? That's how much you should trust him. The definition of "rebuild" varies from person to person. For some it means they put Restore oil treatment in the sump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom