Rear wing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does it actually do anything? Is it aerodynamic at all, or would I just be better off removing it? Thanks for the help.

It keeps the back of the truck cleaner if you drive down dirt roads by forcing air down over the back of the truck. Otherwise air circluates up the back of the truck and covers the back in dust.

It keeps the back of the truck cleaner if you drive down dirt roads by forcing air down over the back of the truck. Otherwise air circluates up the back of the truck and covers the back in dust.

so it does create drag. Is it significant enough to want to take it off?

Nope.

The only reason to remove it would be to repair any rust forming under the mounting legs. The defelctor was either port or dealer installed as opposed to line installed. This means that it has the potential to be a rust breeder.

Nope.

The only reason to remove it would be to repair any rust forming under the mounting legs. The defelctor was either port or dealer installed as opposed to line installed. This means the it has the potential to be a rust breeder.

thanks CDan! I'll probably remove it in the end, just later on down the road now that I know.

I took mine off for a wile the back window got dirty in no time, I put it back on, whatever drag it produces is worth it.

I recently removed mine from my 96' to repaint it and found no rust at all. I did have to destroy the port installed adhesive tape and replace it. Went back on perfectly and now looks new.

The good thing for me is the guy at the port that installed the wing must have been fired because he did'nt get around to installing the roof rack...clean as a baby's behind.

Dave

I took mine off as my truck was rolled and the repair was to go sleek. (No rack, no flares, etc.) I go back and forth on it. I saved the wing and those were the only holes that I didn't fill. I just put the screws in with rubber. As long as the truck is smooth and clean, I will deal with the dusty rear window. If I give in to my basic instinct and build a roof rack, I will put it back on.
If you have a roof rack, I would keep the wing. It is strong and it does a lot of good by keeping the rear window clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom