Rear window replacement gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Serviced

Update , the early style with the 2 slots , and the later style , i had bolth made out of steel , and aluminum
1) nylon pa 12 is 100 % true to the factory dimensions , and should outlast the life of the truck
2) aluminum is 100 % true to the factory dimensions , and is a upgrade to the nylon
3) steel is a FAIL , multiple attempts , are undersize and or warped ,distorted
4) brass is a FAIL , several attempts are undersize , teeth are to large
Not having any knowledge in this area , something in the binding process of the meal is causing issues ,beyond my skill set .
Sticking wit the nylon or the aluminum will produce the most favorable results .

Update , the early style with the 2 slots , and the later style , i had bolth made out of steel , and aluminum
1) nylon pa 12 is 100 % true to the factory dimensions , and should outlast the life of the truck
2) aluminum is 100 % true to the factory dimensions , and is a upgrade to the nylon
3) steel is a FAIL , multiple attempts , are undersize and or warped ,distorted
4) brass is a FAIL , several attempts are undersize , teeth are to large
Not having any knowledge in this area , something in the binding process of the meal is causing issues ,beyond my skill set .
Sticking wit the nylon or the aluminum will produce the most favorable results .
Good to hear, ordered 2 of the new earlier models today

I need a gear for my '55, the later style. Which one is the nylon PA? There's several on the shapeways page not sure which to order. I just want to get the window to work. Thanks!

I need a gear for my '55, the later style. Which one is the nylon PA? There's several on the shapeways page not sure which to order. I just want to get the window to work. Thanks!

Yes I've been on the site, Thanks. I'm asking the difference in the gears.

Yes I've been on the site,
There's several on the shapeways page not sure which to order.
I need a gear for my '55, the later style.
I've read your question and gave you an answer based on what clues you gave....

If you would like a different answer then you need to give me more clues like do you have the "D" shaft or the "KEY WAY" shaft...

I guess I need to clarify

I know which type of mounting I need based on the pinion gear. What I would like to know is what are the differences in the different materials that the gears are made from. I'm not interested nor asking about steel and aluminum, I'm aware of what those materials are. Also they are too costly.

The Shapeways site shows gears made from 3 different types of non-metallic material. So, what's the difference? Which one is closest to "Nylon PA" as shown in post #43?

Maybe @fj55-100 can chime in?

Thanks

I probably am not going to answer your question the way you are intended. I don't do that, ask my wife. Anyway, I think the failure point of the window system should be your gear. It would be the easiest and cheapest to replace. The other thought is that these gears did last 30-50 years in a lot of cases with nylon. So my opinion is to buy 2 nylon gears and the ability to use the rear window will probably out last your interest in the vehicle.

Maybe I will answer your question. Versatile white and the PA12 are both just PA12 nylon with different color choices. The detail plastic is acrylic. I would choose PA12 for durability.

Maybe @fj55-100 can chime in?
He said in the post you quoted #43 to use PA-12 "Multi Jet Fusion Plastic"
The only other option is versatile plastic that is Nylon 12 NOT the PA-12 @fj55-100 said to use in the post #43 you quoted above...
Hope this helps clear things up for you! In the Link I sent you with the late model gear it has the correct material selected for you so all you need to do is add it to your cart and pay for it.

Printing Versatile Plastic - Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic

He said in the post you quoted #43 to use PA-12 "Multi Jet Fusion Plastic"
The only other option is versatile plastic that is Nylon 12 NOT the PA-12 @fj55-100 said to use in the post #43 you quoted above...
Hope this helps clear things up for you! In the Link I sent you with the late model gear it has the correct material selected for you so all you need to do is add it to your cart and pay for it.

Printing Versatile Plastic - Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic

While I appreciate your trying to help, the link you posted doesn't go to the product page at all.

I think you meant to post this link:

fj55 rear window gear by fj55_100 on Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/product/DW94JGYWN/fj55-rear-window-gear?optionId=204168312&li=shops

Maybe I will answer your question. Versatile white and the PA12 are both just PA12 nylon with different color choices. The detail plastic is acrylic. I would choose PA12 for durability.

Thanks for the concise reply. Ordered!

Thanks everyone. I must have had some kind of disconnect going on. D'oh!

Gear ordered, now on to more wiring fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom