Rear window operational with tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to figure out which tire carrier to get that still allows the rear window to open while the tire is mounted in place? I see JW rear tire carrier does yet is there another brand? Is there one with the bumper/tire carrier combo?

Don't know, but I can count on zero fingers the times I've actually used the rear window opening feature. Is that something you use often?

I am trying to figure out which tire carrier to get that still allows the rear window to open while the tire is mounted in place? I see JW rear tire carrier does yet is there another brand? Is there one with the bumper/tire carrier combo?
Just a heads up, it's not just the tire carrier itself, but also what size tire you mount on it.
But any tire carrier, you can swing it out, flip up the rear window and close the swing-out, then be able to drive with the rear window open. We've done that with long boards (surfboards) before.

Just a heads up, it's not just the tire carrier itself, but also what size tire you mount on it.
But any tire carrier, you can swing it out, flip up the rear window and close the swing-out, then be able to drive with the rear window open. We've done that with long boards (surfboards) before.
And the offset/backspacing of the wheel on which the tire is mounted. You can always throw a wheel spacer (or some washers) on the studs, but don't see why it would be a problem in any regard.

Everything I am aware of other than the JW is a swing out, either on an off-road bumper or hitch mounted.

If I do the swing out with the bumper that’s ok or even the Jw. I just like to be able to access the window without swinging the tire out of the way.

The window is really handy if you have a trailer hooked up that prevents opening the door much.

I have a Dobinson’s rear bumper with a double swing out. I open the window quite a bit when I have my square drop hooked up. The 275/70r18 MT’s on a stock wheel do not block the window from opening.

Last edited:
Great thread, I open mine about 30% of the time I get in the back, especially if there are space issues with tight parking spots

Great thread, I open mine about 30% of the time I get in the back, especially if there are space issues with tight parking spots
Yeah, that's the Achilles heel of the GX is that dog-goned swing out barn door. I really miss the small tailgate and lift of our old 100 series Landcruisers.

Yeah, that's the Achilles heel of the GX is that dog-goned swing out barn door. I really miss the small tailgate and lift of our old 100 series Landcruisers.
Yea, I do really like the split tailgate, but I do like the barn door over a conventional hatch. Granted I have had quite a few head injuries and actually owned a Veloster Turbo by choice, so my opinion is suspect. 😂

Last edited:
Yea, I do really like the split tailgate, but I do like the barn door over a conventional hatch. Granted I have had quite a few injuries and actually owned a Veloster Turbo by choice, so my opinion is suspect. 😂
Yep, I don't care for the "full" lift hatch of the 4Runners either.
Although it is handy to stand under and keep dry when there's wet weather.

Yep, I don't care for the "full" lift hatch of the 4Runners either.
Although it is handy to stand under and keep dry when there's wet weather.
Lol exactly. I just wish someone made a rear bumper that was designed around a larger spare underneath and it came with a kit to kove the stock spare tire back to fit at least a 255/80R17 or 285/70R17s like the 150 series without KDSS. But I am taking this thread off topic.

Having quick access to the back, especially when it's cram full of crap, in the back of beyond and I just need to grab one thing and don't want everything else falling out.

• Haha
Reactions: r2m
I had a 91 Montero. same swing out door. Sounds silly but one of the creature features / reasons i like the GX.
Montero/Pajero gang!

I miss her :(
IMG_20150927_144924_Original.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom