rear tow hooks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
where is the best (ie strongest, easy to reach in a recovery) place to mount recovery points on the rear of an Fj40, either tow hooks, or rounded eye bolts, as i haven't purchased them yet. just getting info first

I attached some D rings on the rear crossmember right where the corner brace is attached. It is about 8" either side of dead center. To keep the D rings from rattling, I cut a small piece of innertube and wrapped it around the D ring before bolting up with its holder.
There were some holes already there, but I did have ro woller them out to line up with the holes in the D ring "saddle". I think they are 10,000lbs. rated. I've seen bigger, maybe they would suit you better. They're yellow zinc and I think they cost about $25 for two of them.
HTH
Ed

those holes may be for tow bar attachment, is there two on each side of center? if so that is the best idea i have heard by far. never thought of that. thanks

Yes there are actually several holes to the right and left of where I mounted a receiver hitch. I chose the ones that go through both the rear crossmember AND the angle brace, but there is a big hole in the angle brace, so unless you put a backer plate or bigass washer, you're really only attaching to the rear crossmember.
If I was doing some heavy pulling, I'd probably run a short(3')
chain and hook to both of them to spread out the load, kinda like a bridle.
HTH
Ed

Here is what I did. Had some hangers made by a local fab guy, then welded them on the rear end where the cross braces are. Those are 4 3/4 ton shackles. Haven't had to recover with them yet, but they are solid. I mainly use them as chain hooks for my M416 trailer.
1063882865724_rear_of_cruiser_web.jpg

If you have a Tongue type Hitch Tow Bar, You can use the Pin.
If you don't, You can remove the Tow Ball from the Tow Bar and where the Ball originally was you put a Shackle in it's Place.

How many cruisers have you seen with a rear xmember that is bent right where the receiver/tow ball is mounted? Putting it where the angle braces connect to the xmember at least allows you to transfer some of the force to the frame rails.

the rear tow bar is coming off anyway, it hangs too low. can anyone tell me what the purpose of the silver U shaped bits of steel either side of the tow bar is??? i want to cut them off (bolts are frozen) but wonder what purpose they serve?

where those recovery points are located in the pic above are mounting points for a tounge type tow ball, they have 4 bolts attatched to where the reciever hitch is in the pic above, and 2 bolts either side, where the recovery points are shown above.
: :: : | || |

which position is the strongest?

The strongest way is to have the shackles connected directly to the chassis on both sides and then have a chain or fibre sling attached to both points and connect the recovery strap to that.Get some expert advice on connecting the recovery points on the chassis .Use a collared eye bolt/hook on the chassis and connect the shackles to them.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5749;start=msg45776#msg45776 date=1064834774
the rear tow bar is coming off anyway, it hangs too low. can anyone tell me what the purpose of the silver U shaped bits of steel either side of the tow bar is??? i want to cut them off (bolts are frozen) but wonder what purpose they serve?
Not sure what the "towbar" is that you're referring too, but if its a trailer hitch like I think, the silver "u" rings are probably for trailer safety chains.

Are you refering to the predrilled holes on the crosspiece? there are eight all together, one set of two at the ends of each side and a set of two about 1/3 and 2/3. If so, these are the orginal bolt locations for stock bumperettes.

I just use my military pintle hitch as a rear recovery point/tow point(for those stuck behind me ::)). No bending of the crossmember yet :D

Very seldom do I get pulled *back* since I have a winch up front. I do intend to weld some fixed D-rings up front on the bumper for those *rare* occasions I need to be pulled out forward :p

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom