Rear Third Member

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Lynden, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Lynden

Lynden

Does anyone have a picture of a stock rear third? I'm not sure how the c-clips are held in, it looks as if there should be something other than just the c-clips holding the axle in place.

I know when I rebuilt the rear on my Impala the axles were sort of spring loaded and when you pushed in and set the c-clip they snapped back out adn held the c-clips in place. Whereas, on this rear the axles don't spring back out.

Thanks for the help.

P.s. I searched for about an hour looking for info on this issue, but I may not have used the right words, so take it easy on me.

2. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    there is a block/pin that hold the axles from sliping in(tword the center) and the clips from falling out..

3. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Number 14 on This page.

4. peesalot

peesalot

if you look around the carrier you will see the 12 mm retaining pin bolt. you put cross shaft in with center block then retaing bolt. be careful to get the thrust washers under spiders lined up when pushing cross shaft in.

5. 66fj40x2

66fj40x2

Media:
    Albums:
    If you're assembling the axle, once the C clip is on the axle just pull the axle til it stops. That'll hold the clip in place til you get the spider gears installed.

6. Lynden

Lynden

Thanks for the help guys, I read some things about a block that went in there, but wasn't 100% sure, this clears it up.

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.