Rear Swingout: Spare Tire Placement? (1 Viewer)

Which side is best for a rear-mounted spare tire?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wouldnt center make the most sense? Put a reverse camera on it, less likely to bind in a tight corner when trailering AND most esthetically pleasing.

IMO centering only makes sense if you're on big enough tires you're blocking brake lights & no hope/desire to fit Jerry cans/whatever else besides a Hi-lift out back.

Otherwise if you're still on 35's/37's you can more efficiently store more by offsetting to whichever side you prefer. My opinion.

I have a carrier that I bought from Landtank, I haven't noticed a real lack of visibility with it mounted on the driver's side, plus I never back up without checking the side mirrors too, so far there doesn't seem to be an issue. And I have a 60" HiLift jack mounted diagonally across the back, base on DS going up to the corner of the roof on the passenger side, no issue.

For a 33, under the truck. :flipoff2:

It has to be center for me. Like some suggested, just get a backup camera.

Driver's side. Weight really isn't that big of a concern to me compared to visibility. It's 100 lbs plus a swing out. That would be like telling someone to please sit on the passenger side in the middle row instead of on the driver's side seat for better weight distribution. I doubt anyone has done that.

IMG_9896.PNG

Driver's side. Weight really isn't that big of a concern to me compared to visibility. It's 100 lbs plus a swing out. That would be like telling someone to please sit on the passenger side in the middle row instead of on the driver's side seat for better weight distribution. I doubt anyone has done that.

View attachment 1674993
I have, but I’ve also told a buddy that I wouldn’t take those girls back to the house when in college because they exceeded my cars gross carrying capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom