Rear Suspension knock - 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a new to me 94 80 that I took for a maiden run this last weekend. Over moderate lumpy fire roads when the weight of the vehicle is shifting left to right, there's a pronounced knock that I can feel through the chassis. You can replicate the noise by rocking the car from side to side at a stop. I couldn't see anything under the vehicle that looked out of place or loose.

I have a friend who is the service manager at a Toyota dealership and his FJ knowledgeable mechanic racked it and looked it over. He said that what I was hearing is normal with 80s. Apparently there is a small amount of play that can be felt when the car moves side to side? I was happy to hear him say nothing was wrong but my other friends don't think so (they aren't 80 owners or experts). Thought I'd post here and see what cognoscenti think!

It's an 94 w 153k miles.

Video New video by TFerrer - https://photos.app.goo.gl/VTrR6A3XJsEVTHMc8

Last edited:
"Knowledgeable mechanic" is high.

Something is loose or worn out. Side-to-side like that would make me look at panhard bolts/bushings first, then probably shock bolts/bushings. Then proceed from there if those check out.

I'm thinking sway-bar bushings or panhard rod bushings

Check suspension hardware torque.

Most of the suspension arm bolts torque to 130lbs, which is quite a lot. If they are under-tightened they will clunk. That's probably the first thing I would check. Beyond that, jack up your suspension one side at a time and let the bushings twist. I'm guessing you'll probably see a bunch of hairline cracks open up in the bushings. If so, time to replace them. The bushings for your shocks may have also shrunk and deteriorated, which could easily cause a clunk.

I have done all of the above, hence my truck's name, "The Clunker." It's not normal for it to clunk and it should be fixable if you just work your way through the suspension.

Yo!

When the bushings are good, they don't clunk. The worst offender for clunck I have found (and fixed) was the front shocks in the tower. If you get the stepped washer put in upside-down, the shock will shift in the hole, that cluncks!

Post up that pic you sent me.
looks like body mount issue
here's a diagram:

Last edited:
Yea, here's the issue... I'm afraid to look at the others..

20210211_120839.jpg

20210211_113256.jpg

Dude.
Way beyond my :banana: :banana: skill set. Will let some the knowledge base here chime in. That said, I feel for ya! My first car was an 72' Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 that had been in the family since new, (wrong car to give a 16yo) my brothers insisted on welding in a roll cage. We went to look at the weld in points, tapped them with a ball peen hammer and had instant additional "ventilation holes" the car. Dang east coast salt roads. #Ih8rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom