Rear PTO, winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Anybody out there have any experience with rear PTO on a FJ40? How about installing a rear PTO winch? Did Toyota ever have a factory rear PTO and or winch? Got a 1970 FJ40 taken apart and I have some extra winch parts (head, shafts etc) and just trying to make use of them. Any help appreciated. Thanks

I don't know in detail your truck , but Volvo 303 Lapland had a central PTo winch that can pull front and rear .
pls have a look , you might get some idea for your problem .

bye Renago

Thanks renago. Interesting but totally different. Am interested in exploring how rear PTO was configured on FJ40, and what some of the attachments or implements it was used to operate.

If you look at the back of the PTO unit, on most of them there is a cover held on by four bolts. However if you rip that off, you can mount another output flange/yoke to it. That will allow you to send power to the rear.
Toyota never had a rear mounted winch, but they did drive a rear mounted water pump on the firetruck model which I think was mostly only a Japanese domestic market thing. I have heard of, but never seen in the flesh of someone who took the three piece pto driveshaft from a 55 pto winch install and managed to get it to the back of a 40 where he mounted a pto winch from a Nissan Patrol. I think he chose the Nissan part because it is smaller than the toyo part and could be mounted in a less intrusive way.

So long story short, no there is no factory rear winch, but yes you can get power coming back if you try hard enough and can route the shafts without fouling everything.
If I had more time and money and I really wanted a rear winch, I would couple a hydaulic pump to the rear output of the pto, and run the hydro lines back to a hydro winch.

Power to the rear was more common in the earlier years. Advertisements from the FJ25 sound it used to operate aftermarket things like a saw. These were off the rear output of PTO used for the front winch. The PTO bolted to the side of transmission. Most all PTO imported to the US had the rear output as well as a front output. The one that bolted to the back of the transmission tail shaft may have only been for the earlier ten spline three speed. Not sure if there was one for the early three speed which had cover that looked like a tube and only had four bolts holding it on as compared to the later one piece case that the cover looked more like a cone and used six bolts. Ramsey who made a PTO winch used a PTO that attached to the three speed output shaft. It was offset but it has a shaft to drive either front or back.

The one that bolts in place of the output shaft cover is for driving water pumps in fire trucks. I'm pretty sure they were available for 4-speeds as well as 3-speeds. Last I knew Mark A. had some taking up space on a shelf.

I always thought it would be cool to make a receiver-mount blender.

My guess is the one that bolts to the back of the transfer case has less gear reduction and better for powering a pump while the ones that mount to the side are slower and have better torque for a winch.

Great stuff - thanks guys! Looks like I might have some extra PTO shafts and universals so I might attempt to set up a rear PTO. Any idea as to what they had for a bearing and pillow block or bracket for the end at the back? Location - center or to the drivers side?

Any idea as to what they had for a bearing and pillow block or bracket for the end at the back? Location - center or to the drivers side?

There are pictures somewhere in the FJ25 section of where it mounted. Pretty sure it was just to the left of the four holes for the pintle hook. Early rear frame members had holes along the bottom to a attach a bracket. The bracket held a pillow block bearing with shaft that had a flange that matched the one on the PTO.

back in 74 i had a rear mounted pto winch on my 66 fj40 it was upside down under the truck and worked quite well .if your running certain things you will need a throttle to control engine rpms .a post hole digger or a gen may require a belt driven govenor .check out the pto drives on old power wagons or jeeps for info .my 46 willys has a monroe lift and rear pto with a belt driven govenor.the govenour sets the rpm for different equipment that fits the vehicles .my toyota ptos are old and had the front and rear flange from the factory but all still work well

Thanks shelfboy1. Winch upside down under the truck. Was this the same type of Toyota winch that mounts to the front? How did you configure the levers etc so you could control it? I am actually looking for the hand throttle (in dash). Maybe you have one or know someone who does?

same as the front winch and uses the stock lever in the cab you just extend the rear drive shaft .its tough to work alone but also came in handy for winching stuff on the trailer.the winch clutch was hard to work under the truck so there was a lot of power out .i think the throttle cable was the same as the choke cable but with a different knob and requires the factory mount brackets on the carb hope this helps a bit

There's a bit of info on Andrew Farmers thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/gertrude-centre-mounted-pto-winch.61398/ unfortunately the author is now deceased and the truck is long gone

Toyota did a lot of variations with their PTO drives I had a PTO a few years ago that had both front and rear output flanges, kbushnz did a rear pto winch on his 70 series prado I'm pretty sure he pulled the pto drive apart and reversed everything to get the output flange coming out there rear but I think there was a little bit more to it than just pulling it all apart and reversing everything I think the drive gear didn't line up properly or something but it was do-able and he got it to work successfuly

Every PTO I have that was imported to the US by Toyota has front and rear flanges. Rear flange has cover bolted to the flange to protect nut and end of the shaft from getting dirty. This is on PTOs from FJ25s, 61 to mid 63 and mid 63 to 7/80. I know all my mid 63 to 7/80 PTOs were off three speeds. It could be possible the later ones on four speeds didn't have the rear output. Just like the FST the PTO winches were pretty rare option in the US after 74. I know that looking at old parts books Toyota shown three version of PTOs. Front only, rear only, front and rear. US seem to always get front and rear. If these ever came in a forward only like the ones for the split transfer case I don't know. I have both a forward only and forward/reverse split transfer case PTOs. Neither has the rear output and just a cap on the housings. Like mentioned it would need to be torn down and rebuilt to rear output. Because only one end is splined you would loose the front output. If the early mid 73 to 7/80 shaft that splined on both ends could be used in either of the split transfer case PTOs I'm not sure.

Still interested if anyone know the difference in gear ratios between the rear and side PTOs. Would think the rear PTO would be higher speed and better for operating something like a pump. Side would be slower and have more torque for things like a winch.:meh:

Thanks all for the info. Still looking for PTO parts. Missing the short front driveshaft (and bearing pillow block) which attaches to the winch.

Hi. Anybody out there have any experience with rear PTO on a FJ40? How about installing a rear PTO winch? Did Toyota ever have a factory rear PTO and or winch? Got a 1970 FJ40 taken apart and I have some extra winch parts (head, shafts etc) and just trying to make use of them. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Hi Bb
As others have mentioned the " centre line " pto were on Japanese domestic fire units running 1:1 of the output shaft of the main gearbox so it could have 4 speeds with throttle settings , so it ran fairly quick with not much reduction so in 1st gear at idiol it would be spinning around the 100 rpm range .

I've a fire unit and am searching for a centre pto

Screenshot_20210923-105719_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom