Rear pinion UP!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by -Spike-, Aug 18, 2006.

1. -Spike-

-Spike-

As some of you know, I recently damaged my rear driveshaft while wheeling. I decided to raise the rear pinion, putting my driveshaft in a 'broken back' configuration- both u-joints angling down from the front of the truck to the rear axle, instead of the t-case output shaft and pinion shaft being parallel as is normal. This would raise the pinion end of the driveshaft, hopefully keeping it off the rocks.

I have Slee's 6" lift, which comes with adjustable rear upper control arms, making this mod fairly easy.

I first removed the damaged driveshaft and had it re-tubed with a .156" wall tube, and balanced. The stock(?) driveshaft was .107" wall. I then measured between the t-case flange and the rear pinion flange and cut a piece of 1/2" square tube slightly longer than that measurement at 39". I placed this straight edge to span across the top of both flanges, simulating the driveshaft but easier to measure angles from. I used an angle finder similar to this one http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/36915-01-500.jpg to find the relative angles between the flanges and the straight edge. I then cranked the upper control arm adjusters (lengthening the arms) to raise the pinion until I got matching angles at both flanges. This took some trial and error, as both angles change as you raise the pinion. I then dialed the pinion down just a bit to compensate for the fact that it would normally raise under power due to axle wrap. Then I installed the driveshaft and test drove it on both city streets and on the highway up to 80 MPH. I got no vibrations or noise at full throttle, cruising, off the gas or engine braking.

My rear t-case output shaft is at 4 degrees from level, the driveshaft is at 10 degrees, and the rear pinion shaft is at 15 degrees, indicating that I have a 6 degree angle in the front u-joint and 5 degrees in the rear u-joint. I estimate them to equal out under power- pure theory here. I have no idea if the 15 degrees at the rear pinion is going to be a problem- ideally it was at 4 degrees originally with parallel t-case and pinion shafts. If you see me post in the future for help on replacing pinion bearings, you'll know I had issues. I will be looking into an oil slinger setup (that Tools R Us mentioned is in the front diff, and I'm hoping can be fitted into the rear) if the bearing goes out or I get around to re-gearing, whichever comes first. By my calculations, the u-joint angles are less than they were with the 6" lift (approximately 7 or 8 degrees), but my wife's stock 80 seems to have even less of an angle at the u-joints at around 3 degrees. Even 8 degrees is no where near the operating limit, so all that is probably not relevant.

I figure I gained about 2-3 inches of clearance at the rear pinion flange.

I have no idea if anyone else has done this, if so please post up. The driveshaft guy agreed that this was the way to go for rock crawling rigs- apparently he's seen a few trashed driveshafts- and indicated that it was a regular practice on 4 wheelers. He didn't think it would be a problem. I asked him if the u-joint yokes should be in-phase or out of phase and he said that the way I had them was the correct orientation- what I assume is in-phase, with the yokes in line with each other. (I have a hard time remembering which is which, and I don't know the complete history of my rig so I don't know if the driveshaft was factory correct when I got it).

-Spike

2. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Good deal! :cheers:

I have never seen a good argument for why the stock front is out of phase. The vibration modeling software the I played with predicted it would vibrate more out of phase. It probably has to do with harmonics unique to that setup?

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Not the same overall setup .. coz I use springs .. but I do that in my 60 series .. So a buddy need to use a CV rear to do the same thing as you .. coz it have a lots of vibration on the HWay ..

4. Nay

Nay

Very cool - good solution. I think you will be ok @ 14 degrees. What you can do is park the rig on a slight downhill and then add some gear oil just to increase capacity a bit.

By lessening your actual u-joint angles the joints will be stronger as well. U-joint wear does increase once you are past 3 degrees, but 6 is nothing.

Setting 1 degree low on the pinion end is a typical solution - I don't think it makes any difference because a degree is within tolerance either way, and a four link should have no axle wrap under normal conditions unless you have worn bushings.

Nay

5. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I have found newer bushings to flex more than older still intact ones, they do wrap more than you would think, big bushings.

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

A follow up: Took the truck on the same trail I trashed the driveshaft on. I didn't hit it on the obstacle this time, but the other 5 trucks did. Yeah, 3 80's, one 4Runner, and one Land Rover, all with candy stripes and dents on their rear driveshafts. They named the obstacle Barber Pole Rock.

Thinking back, I think one of the 80's avoided damage.

On the bad side, there's a slight noise and vibration on both acceleration and deceleration above 30 MPH. I'm going to try two things to correct this: One, rotate the pinion up the final degree to match both u-joint angles at rest, and two, if that doesn't do the trick I will have the driveshaft re-balanced with the u-joints out-of-phase. I'm wondering if the stock front driveshaft at stock height isn't out-of-phase because it is set up in the broken-back configuration from the factory- I will be measuring my wife's tomorrow to confirm or deny this theory. Just thinking logically about it, if the pinion is pointing at the t-case with a 6 inch lift and caster correction, it must have been pointing above the t-case at stock height with correct caster. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow, if I decide to go out to the shop and do some measuring.

-Spike

7. bhmmapping

bhmmapping

bringing this back to life to see how it has held up, anyone else done this?

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Absolutely no issues in ~4 years. I believe the vibe was in the front shaft, which I replaced back then.

9. TRDCRUISER95

TRDCRUISER95

Albums:
    Can you put some pics ? Thanks man!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.