Rear mounted winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to put a rear winch on my '85 pick up. Does anyone have some insight or experience on how to anchor off the rear of the frame? The truck has a flat deck on it, so working around the stock box and/or stock rear bumper is not an issue.

Ideally I would like to bolt a winch mount plate to the frame. What kind of strength/construction would I be looking for? I'd consider welding mount tabs or frame sleeves or potentially welding in a crossmember behind the rear most factory one, but I dont particularly want to weld the winch mounting plate direct to the frame.

Id like to use my spare 8274...although I have considered a flat style bottom mount winch.

I seem to recall you can buy pre-fab'd winch mounting plates.

Space and mounting position may make mounting the 8274 a little tough in a rear situation.
Check out www.barnes4wd.com for some different mounts.

Heres my setup.

Thats a nicely concealed winch gnob.

Those plates look fairly simple. Maybe I'm overthinking this. For strength is 4, 1/2" bolts holding the plate to the frame enough to stall out an 8k winch and not rip the plate off? (Or even snatch blocked back to the frame)

Is there much of a difference in this application putting the bolts in stretch or shear?

I guess realistically speaking any pull off straight and square is going to potentially put greater stresses on the frame and suspension mounts and wheel bearings before the mount fails. Theoretically I just need to make the mount strong enough to do a dead nuts square max rated pull. ??

The winch itself is mounted with 3/8 or 7/16, so you have to assume 1/2 is enough.
Also if you look at most of the generic winch plates, they aren't terribly beefy. Just do better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom