Rear LSD/Locker for non 98/99 UZJ100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread regarding the terms being used so I'll throw my 2 cents in as it applies in my experience.

LSD = Limited Slip Differential
Locker = Locking Differential

Lockers can be either selectable, like ARB, Harrop or the factory e-locker or full time non-selectable like the Detroit or Lokka. In my experience (and certainly in local terms where I live) a "lunchbox locker" refers to a non-selectable locker.

LSD's are not lockers, IMO, by definition because they don't lock. While a LSD can aid traction, they will still allow a wheel to spin, especially if one is off the ground.

All that said, back when I had a Rover, a front and rear Detroit TrueTrac was a somewhat popular mod for the Discovery II. The brake modulating electronic traction control and the limited slip TrueTrac complemented each other well without going with a locker and the additional expense that entailed like having to upgrade axles.

I would think similar would apply to the 100 and it's ATRAC system, but unfortunately, Detroit doesn't make a TrueTrac for the 100. I'm not well schooled in other LSD options for the 100.

Nope that helps a little.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread regarding the terms being used so I'll throw my 2 cents in as it applies in my experience.

LSD = Limited Slip Differential
Locker = Locking Differential

Lockers can be either selectable, like ARB, Harrop or the factory e-locker or full time non-selectable like the Detroit or Lokka. In my experience (and certainly in local terms where I live) a "lunchbox locker" refers to a non-selectable locker.

LSD's are not lockers, IMO, by definition because they don't lock. While a LSD can aid traction, they will still allow a wheel to spin, especially if one is off the ground.

All that said, back when I had a Rover, a front and rear Detroit TrueTrac was a somewhat popular mod for the Discovery II. The brake modulating electronic traction control and the limited slip TrueTrac complemented each other well without going with a locker and the additional expense that entailed like having to upgrade axles.

I would think similar would apply to the 100 and it's ATRAC system, but unfortunately, Detroit doesn't make a TrueTrac for the 100. I'm not well schooled in other LSD options for the 100.

Nope that helps a little.
Agreed on the confusion and I'm guilty of raising that concern as well. For me, I'll dumb it down even more....

Locker = Locking Differential = The axle is locked. Period. In all cases this is done by some type of electronic, pneumatic, or mechanical switch.
LSD = Limited Slip Differential = The axle is engaged and disengaged to provide "limited slip" and may be dynamic as in "mechanically engaged w/o the input of the driver".

I believe Just Differentials lists a Torsen (equivalent to Detroit TrueTrac) on their site as a Nitro Helix.

They sure do. My issue is that I don't know who to go with. Nitro Helix, Auburn Gear, etc.

I really like the idea of the mechanical LSD over anything else. But I'm not familiar enough with the brands. I haven't even looked into the Aussie Locker yet....

They sure do. My issue is that I don't know who to go with. Nitro Helix, Auburn Gear, etc.

I really like the idea of the mechanical LSD over anything else. But I'm not familiar enough with the brands. I haven't even looked into the Aussie Locker yet....

You should probably start with figuring out what problem you are trying to solve, how you intend to use the vehicle, and your budget (including install).

For example:

If it’s primarily being used on-road, some light off-road, and you have a 2000-2007 with ATRAC, a LSD might be right for you.

If it’s primarily being used off-road, and you’re often crossed up, lifting 1 front, and 1 rear tire, a locker of some type is probably going to be preferred.

You should probably start with figuring out what problem you are trying to solve, how you intend to use the vehicle, and your budget (including install).

For example:

If it’s primarily being used on-road, some light off-road, and you have a 2000-2007 with ATRAC, a LSD might be right for you.

If it’s primarily being used off-road, and you’re often crossed up, lifting 1 front, and 1 rear tire, a locker of some type is probably going to be preferred.
Definitely option A. On road and light off road w/ ATRAC already so leaning to LSD. ATRAC is great but I'd like to improve upon it. Right now leaning towards Nitro Helix or Auburn Gear. Information is limited on both. I don't like the idea of a dice roll but it may come to that.

You already did…with a load of inaccuracies.
He responded in an effort to answer my questions. If you have something other than "That's wrong" to offer I welcome it. Otherwise you aren't really contributing much to work with here.

Definitely option A. On road and light off road w/ ATRAC already so leaning to LSD. ATRAC is great but I'd like to improve upon it. Right now leaning towards Nitro Helix or Auburn Gear. Information is limited on both. I don't like the idea of a dice roll but it may come to that.

I have no personal experience with the Auburn Grip-N-Loc, but it appears clutch based, and I’ve had plenty of clutch based LSDs (including the OE one in my 99 LX470).

I have no personal experience with the Nitro Helix, but I have had Torsen based differentials in the past (not in a 100 series), and do prefer them to clutch based LSDs.

While I have a Harrop/Eaton E-locker in the rear of my non-ATRAC off-road toy (99 LX), I’ve been tempted to try a Torsen based differential in my DD (06 LX) with ATRAC, figuring that I get the advantage of a LSD on road, and ATRAC should kick in for “tire with zero traction” situations, which should offer enough “traction” to activate the Torsen.

I did consider putting a lunchbox style auto-locker in my 99 LX470, and could tolerate some “bad behaviors” or noise in that vehicle, but I would probably not do that in my DD 06 LX470.

YMMV

Last edited:
Amazing to see how over complicated this can get. Do you want to lock the diff/s on command or not? Easy enough question to answer.

Amazing to see how over complicated this can get. Do you want to lock the diff/s on command or not? Easy enough question to answer.
It's not that simple. As JLB pointed out there are both clutch based and torsion based LSD options. There's LSD and then pure locker. There are mechanical lockers and then there are "push button" options as well. Do you really think the market limits itself to "is there a button or not?"

I have a powertrax lock right mechanical in my 73 series. No button. There are pros and cons to the solution. It's also more budget centric. I am leaning towards LSD on the 100 and that's why I reached out here. And you can see folks discussing all the different options. It goes well beyond "on demand" or not.

It's not that simple. As JLB pointed out there are both clutch based and torsion based LSD options. There's LSD and then pure locker. There are mechanical lockers and then there are "push button" options as well. Do you really think the market limits itself to "is there a button or not?"

I have a powertrax lock right mechanical in my 73 series. No button. There are pros and cons to the solution. It's also more budget centric. I am leaning towards LSD on the 100 and that's why I reached out here. And you can see folks discussing all the different options. It goes well beyond "on demand" or not.

Think about this in terms of a flow chart. First decision point is "do I want to lock a diff on demand, yes or no"? If the answer is yes, flowchart goes to "buy push button locker set up". If the answer is no, then you have lots of other options to wade through.

Think about this in terms of a flow chart. First decision point is "do I want to lock a diff on demand, yes or no"? If the answer is yes, flowchart goes to "buy push button locker set up". If the answer is no, then you have lots of other options to wade through.

I don’t disagree with that being a decision point in the process, and it does seem to simplify the the process, but it seems like an odd entry to begin the decision tree, to me.

Kind of like having “Do you want remote reservoir coil overs, and triple bypass shocks in front?”, as the entry point into the decision tree for “Which shocks should I buy for my stock Land Cruiser?”

But maybe I’ve just been doing it wrong.
😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom