Rear LSD/Locker for non 98/99 UZJ100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

REDrum

What Would Steve Zissou Do?
Threads
Mt Monadnock Region NH, US & Montezuma, Costa Rica
Website
www.tolteccoffee.com
So, I'm back in the market for another UZJ100, and finding 98/99 market way too to much for me to buy into. What sort of options and success have people had adding rear LSD or "locker" to non 98/99 trucks? (looking at 2000 to 2004 years)

I've run "Aussie locker" in my FZJ80s with great cost/benefit, any one run in a 100? (or similar "lunchbox locker"?) Not really interested in ARB Air or Kaiser options, might consider Harrop. TIA

Last edited:
A lunchbox locker like a Spartan would work well in a 100 because, like the 80, it’s full-time 4wd.

You should wheel the ATRAC 2000+ before deciding on a locker. You might not even need one. If getting one, I'd look into Eaton as well.

Last edited:
You should wheel the ATRAC 2000+ before deciding on a locker. You might even need one. If getting one, I'd look into Eaton as well.
I concur, I have and its impressive, for about 83% of what I wheel (in low range). Need something for the other 17%. (and, yes, a winch is not off the table too). The Aussie lockers are a really great value, if available for the UZJ100 platform

So, I'm back in the market for another UZJ100, and finding 98/99 market way too to much for me to buy into. What sort of options and success have people had adding rear LSD or "locker" to non 98/99 trucks? (looking at 2000 to 2004 years)

I've run "Aussie locker" in my FZJ100s with great cost/benefit, any one run in a 100? (or similar "lunchbox locker"?) No really interested in ARB Air or Kaiser options, might consider Harrop. TIA
Drop the diff, ship it off to have e locker installed. Easy, just money and a little time .

An Australian company called LOKKA makes a rear lunchbox locker for the 100 series. Someone on this site installed one and from what I remember, it was a PITA. Better off going Eaton E-locker.

An Australian company called LOKKA makes a rear lunchbox locker for the 100 series. Someone on this site installed one and from what I remember, it was a PITA. Better off going Eaton E-locker.

If I remember correctly, their rear lunchbox locker only worked in factory LSD rearends. In the US market, that is 1998-1999 Lexus LX470 only.

If I remember correctly, their rear lunchbox locker only worked in factory LSD rearends. In the US market, that is 1998-1999 Lexus LX470 only.
Their website has a part number for an Open and a LSD rear end. May be best to call or email??

LOKKA.JPG

Their website has a part number for an Open and a LSD rear end. May be best to call or email??

View attachment 2946315

I believe it was @thebeedeegee that fairly recently did the install, and drummed up some interest. If I remember correctly, Lokka wasn’t real good at communicating, and at that time listed a product for the open rear of a 100 series, but if you tried to order it, they admitted that the product didn’t really exist. Maybe that’s changed in the last year or two. Nonetheless I’ve gone down the Eaton/Harrop path at this point.

I believe it was @thebeedeegee that fairly recently did the install, and drummed up some interest. If I remember correctly, Lokka wasn’t real good at communicating, and at that time listed a product for the open rear of a 100 series, but if you tried to order it, they admitted that the product didn’t really exist. Maybe that’s changed in the last year or two. Nonetheless I’ve gone down the Eaton/Harrop path at this point.

I installed it in my LX a couple years ago ( I think). Lokka did have a unit to replace the LSD on the LX it just took FOREVER to get it. I did finally get an email from them saying they had seen an unprecedented amount of orders and were frantically trying to increase production. I even had to make some calls to a local distributor in Australia to get an update at one point. I wanna say it took about 3 months to get the unit, but I can't remember.

Product has been what I expected so far....noisy doing tight turns, some random clunks if you hit it just right on a turn. I don't notice it at all on the highway. It locks up great off road and for the price I paid I'm very satisfied. When I blow my front diff I definitely plan to go with a Harrop up front, but this one has made a huge difference in the capabilities.

It is available for UZJ100. They will need your VIN so that they can send you the right one.
Are you sure? They don't list a locker for the 100 series.

Are you sure? They don't list a locker for the 100 series.
They asked for my VINs and sent me this information in November 2021.

2003 LX470 (4.7L V8 IFS)

2004 UZJ100 (4.7L V8 IFS)

Both of these vehicles use the same rear Lokka - this model was not available until either late 2019 or early 2020.

The assumption here is that the rear diff has never been replaced from the OEM open differential

Unfortunately for us - Toyota made our life extremely difficult as they kept on making internal changes to the diffs in the Landcruiser/Lexus series - we now have approximately 10 diffferent models for the Landcruisers from late 1990's through to 2007 - plus more again for the early models and the latest !

But very fortunately for you - these are the same in (the rear) for your 2 vehicles ! TOY-RO-945

Front maybe another story !

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, Lokka is the type of LSD I'm looking for! Similar design to the Aussie locker I use in my FZJ80, so I'm already use to the clicking and clunking. (but its no where near as noisy as Quaife 1.5 way plate LSD...) Based on Medtro's post looks like it is available for '04 LC, thats great news! Thanks all!

Jumping on this thread before it cools off....

I'm new to 100s and I was looking at an LSD like Detroit TrueTrack (which I don't think is available) or an Auburn Grip-n-Lock. I see "Locker" and "LSD" used interchangeably on this thread. I'm confused by the language. An LSD is not a locker at all correct? Or when we are talking about mechanical lunch box style lockers do we just call them the same thing?

PS: Anyone have experience with the Auburn LSD? We're talking rear only right now.

I see "Locker" and "LSD" used interchangeably on this thread. I'm confused by the language. An LSD is not a locker at all correct?

Over the years I've run just about every type of locker and LSD out there, except for Kaiser (not yet...) Briefly:
  • A "locker" is technically a diff that will fully lock both half shafts in the 3rd, will not brake loose on high friction surfaces. Doesn't turn well on tarmac.
  • An LSD is a diff that allows each half shaft to brake loose on high friction surfaces, like tarmac, when turning
  • An Aussie Lockers and Lunch Box (type) "lockers" are LSDs, not true locking differentials. (but called "lockers" for marketing)
  • Most true lockers require some means to engage and lock them: lever, electric actuator, pneumatic actuator.
  • LSDs tend to be passive and unlock when friction gets to some point.
  • There is a grey scale of LSDs, with a range of varying performance. Torsion LSD are useless on anything but tarmac. But clutch plate are amazing on loose/gravel surfaces.

@REDrum THANK YOU this makes much more sense. Bullet #3 is where the fuzziness lies.

So back to your experience: I was looking at the Detroit TrueTrack LSD "Lunchbox locker". Unfortunately it's not available for the 100. Now I'm looking at the Auburn Gear Grip-n-Lock LSD. Any experience with those specifically or just thoughts on the mechanical LSD lunchbox locker in a 100 series?

• A "locker" is technically a diff that will fully lock both half shafts in the 3rd, will not brake loose on high friction surfaces. Doesn't turn well on tarmac.
  • An LSD is a diff that allows each half shaft to brake loose on high friction surfaces, like tarmac, when turning
  • An Aussie Lockers and Lunch Box (type) "lockers" are LSDs, not true locking differentials. (but called "lockers" for marketing)
  • Most true lockers require some means to engage and lock them: lever, electric actuator, pneumatic actuator.
Not true.

Jumping on this thread before it cools off....

I'm new to 100s and I was looking at an LSD like Detroit TrueTrack (which I don't think is available) or an Auburn Grip-n-Lock. I see "Locker" and "LSD" used interchangeably on this thread. I'm confused by the language. An LSD is not a locker at all correct? Or when we are talking about mechanical lunch box style lockers do we just call them the same thing?

PS: Anyone have experience with the Auburn LSD? We're talking rear only right now.

I believe Just Differentials lists a Torsen (equivalent to Detroit TrueTrac) on their site as a Nitro Helix.

@REDrum THANK YOU this makes much more sense. Bullet #3 is where the fuzziness lies.

So back to your experience: I was looking at the Detroit TrueTrack LSD "Lunchbox locker". Now I'm looking at the Auburn Gear Grip-n-Lock LSD. Any experience with those specifically or just thoughts on the mechanical LSD lunchbox locker in a 100 series?
None with those two brands of LSDs. I'm leaning towards either "Lokka" brand or Aussie Locker brand LSD. I have run Aussie Locker brand in my FZJ80 for over 10 years and it works great, perfect for what I need it to do and was at the right price for me at the time. Does it work as well as the factory e-locker in my other FZJ80? No, but its more of an expiration truck than a low range trail truck. And that is my goal for my new 04 UZJ100, so Aussie is my targeted device. Unless some other technology of comparable price point is suggested here.

KC1MWG :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom