Rear Hatch Handle Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team- my black plastic handle, that opens the upper rear hatch/glass has been busted ever since I've had my 98 LC.
Can anyone confirm, is this the only piece I need, and is it a simple bolt on/bolt off- or is there more to it than a simple $8 part and what 'appears to be a 10 minute 1banana job'.
Thanks!

Heres my current look and the part link.
IMG_3613.JPG

Rear Hatch Back Plastic Upper Door Handle 1991-2007 [69215-60020] - $7.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
rear hatch.JPG

@habakkuk007 Did that work for you? My handle is still hanging on by a thread but I fear I will need to do this soon.

@habakkuk007 Did that work for you? My handle is still hanging on by a thread but I fear I will need to do this soon.

Hi - yes, it did! Worked out perfectly, and it was a 20 minute job.

Unscrew the plastic handle on the inside, then remove the inside plastic trim. Then on the outside three 10 mm screws. The inside metal piece that the outside handle connects to under the plastic trim is held by 2 10mm bolts. The explanation is more complicated than it really is.

Last edited:
Mine looks exactly like whats pictured!!

These are the part numbers for the latch assembly (usually rust) and black plastic handle (dryrots and brakes off)

:These will work on all American 80s 1991-1997:

1. Rear Upper Hatch Handle Assembly 91-97 [69090-60010] - $36.94 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
Mechanical latch

2. Rear Hatch Back Plastic Upper Door Handle 1991-2007 [69215-60020] - $7.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
This handle is used on both 80 and 100 series

Last edited:
I jumped the gun on my 1998 - did not inspect the breakage carefully. I should have pulled off the broken plastic handle and inspected. I ordered the two parts from Cruiser Parts.When I went to install today I did not find the metal prongs on the latch assembly rusted beyond use. The plastic handle was split on both sides but after sanding down the prongs, which still had remnants of their raised nubs, I could shove on the new plastic handle. I think I will order another plastic handle and keep the latch to repair down the road.
IMG_20200223_154633.jpg

Hey guys, been a week since I got back in the cruiser game, my handle looks exactly same as OP so I picked this up,.,.looks like both parts from the above post combined... we will see tonight (thanks to the Corona virus im stuck im my garage permanently 😂😭😂)

See you guys around!

Screenshot_20200325-203649_eBay.jpg

Soooo that didnt fit at all...thanks ebay... now ordering genuine parts,.,. Boss will be upset..
On a side note the bolts holding the old unit on were no longer functional so at least the stripping, greasing, wrenching there is done lol

Yep, I shoulda just ordered what the op had up there looks good...I'll order now and keep posted about install once arrived

I jumped the gun on my 1998 - did not inspect the breakage carefully. I should have pulled off the broken plastic handle and inspected. I ordered the two parts from Cruiser Parts.When I went to install today I did not find the metal prongs on the latch assembly rusted beyond use. The plastic handle was split on both sides but after sanding down the prongs, which still had remnants of their raised nubs, I could shove on the new plastic handle. I think I will order another plastic handle and keep the latch to repair down the road.
View attachment 2219825

The plastic handle on mine broke off. I ordered a new one. Looks like is just slides/snaps on. Is that correct?

Does anyone have a part number for these upper hatch bolts? I wanted to replace them. The LX part guide suggests 90119-06779, but that shows reservoir tank bolts incompatible with my 2001 LC on the McGeorge site. Also appears to have loose washers rather than a single piece like the original LC bolts for that part number???

IMG_3613.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom