Rear hatch button sticking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud,

I have done the searches and can't find this particular problem . It's just an annoyance, but its one that I have been fighting this for a while and nothing seems to help.

The button on the rear hatch latch isn't popping back out reliably. When I press the button to open the door, everything works, except that the button just stays in about 60% of the time. I can tease it back out with the key, and it functions fine, but it's getting annoying.

I have tried the graphite powder stuff, and when that didn't work, I tried various light lubricants, but I and not seeing any progress.

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to pull the cover off and lube something on the inside of the door? replace a spring?

Thanks

I would take it out, dip it it carbkleenwr over night and rinse it with brake cleaner. Lightly oil with wd40. This will relive old grease/grime to get it moving again.

I too was having the same issue. Mine started sticking after I removed the cylinder because I couldn't get the guts to lock and unlock, (very scientific terminology). Took it to a local locksmith of good repute and he got it to move from lock to unlock. Reinstalled and thought all was good. Soon it was sticking. I tried using a teflon based lubricant, Triflow, around the escutcheon and the cylinder and that didn't work.

So I pulled everything a part and used snap ring pliers to see what was going on inside the assembly.

WIN_20200527_15_19_43_Pro.jpg

I noticed that the housing for all the mystical parts touched by the key (second piece from the left) is covered from the front to the middle by a polished chrome cap. I looked like the locksmith had done a pretty good job prying this off. When he put it all back together there were some places where the cylinder hit the shell, (1st part on the left). I took out my smallest ball peen and GENTLY tapped the high spots until they were better. Not perfect, just better. Used some light lithium grease on the inside of the shell, reinstalled the cylinder, spring, and retainer and put it back in the hatch.

Note: see that little white plastic piece. The assembly goes into the hatch much easier when you remove it. I'm not sure how rare they are but I treated it like unobtainium.

Hope this helps.
marko

@ToyotaMatt is the guy who knows how to repair these things, so you might want to check with him.

- dis-assemble

- clean / de-grease

- dry off

- lube well all moving parts with this , FULL synthetic Di-Electric grease

- re-assemble

- ALL should be happy again ........... :)

DSCN2723.JPG
DSCN2724.JPG
DSCN2725.JPG
DSCN2726.JPG
DSCN2727.JPG

way better than the 40 year old Campagnolo white grease in the original container that I used.

Thanks guys! Now I know what I'm doing Saturday morning.

@ToyotaMatt are the rear hatch assemblies still available? Went to your site and didn't see one, but that could be me because my wife says I suffer from "male pattern blindness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom