rear hatch actuator help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone replaced the rear hatch actuator motor themselves? I've done some prying and cutting (plans to make fold down table) where necessary and have contact with the actuator now. but the problem his how do I actually get inside it to replace the motor. should I just rip the thing out and get a whole new actuator which is way more $$ than just replacing the motor inside? Has anyone done this themselves? oh and its a 2010 gx460.... thanks

I have a 2010 Prado, which I reckon is almost similar to the GX460. When I got it the rear hatch actuator wasn't working, so I removed the door trim to get access to it. It's a white box held in place by a few screws. Mine was not serviceable, but a new one is quite expensive, so I slowly pried it open only to find a lot of junk and gunk in there. I'm assuming the previous owner drove with the hatch open and water+dust got inside, blocking stuff and rusting everything. So I cleaned it up, lubed it and put it back together. I had to use a zip-tie to keep it tight, but it worked and it works even now!

thanks for the replies. I understand what to replace and how to do it., but the problem is the actuator has failed while the door is closed. this means that I can't open the hatch to remove everything properly.

The above actuator looks different than on mine. Are we talking about the door actuator or the little glass that swings up? Anyways, mine was closed too when I got the car and I managed to remove the entire inside door trim, from the inside, even the bottom part. I was then able to reach the cable and get it to release. After that, it was easy.

From what the OP stated I think the lock actuator for the main door has seized so not sure pulling on cable will work. The GX 460 also lacks an internal door handle release and lock as well. Everything is done on the outside.

2018-Lexus-GX-460-cargo-door.jpg
Yours looks just like mine. I too can't open the doors from the inside but, when it was locked and couldn't get it to open, I was able to remove all the trim and then get access to either one of the locks: door or glass.

From what the OP stated I think the lock actuator for the main door has seized so not sure pulling on cable will work. The GX 460 also lacks an internal door handle release and lock as well. Everything is done on the outside.

2018-Lexus-GX-460-cargo-door.jpg
Yours looks just like mine. I too can't open the doors from the inside but, when it was locked and couldn't get it to open, I was able to remove all the trim and then get access to either one of the locks: door or glass. I had the rear door seize on me after I resprayed the car, I think spay got in the lock and dried there. After removing the trim, you can reach the metal part that locks and unlocks the door, then you can apply some pressure outwards while messing with the actuator.

Yours looks just like mine. I too can't open the doors from the inside but, when it was locked and couldn't get it to open, I was able to remove all the trim and then get access to either one of the locks: door or glass.

thanks for the responses! I am curious as to what the metal thing y'all are talking about. I reached my hand back in there and only found the metal arm that the exterior latch is connected to(which isn't the problem) . I need the latch to unlock it. I could be an idiot about it and just not thinking through it properly. thanks for the feedback guys

thanks for the responses! I am curious as to what the metal thing y'all are talking about. I reached my hand back in there and only found the metal arm that the exterior latch is connected to(which isn't the problem) . I need the latch to unlock it. I could be an idiot about it and just not thinking through it properly. thanks for the feedback guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom