Rear DVD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife is fed up with her bmw x5 so I am trying to take advantage of the situation and get her in an LC200.

My question is, she likes the dual screen dvd on the lexus, I would rather have the yota, but we have two kiddos and we take weekend trips every week. So, has anyone had good success putting DVD monitors in the headrests? Second question, can you operate the headrest monitors from the main screen in the front?

Thanks,
David

...via IH8MUD app

I am not sure if anyone has actually installed headrest monitors. Since they were never a factory option, you'd have to get the rests cut. That would require some custom work. Wonder if you could take a set from a GX?
As to getting them to run off the main nav screen, I think it would be possible; you'd have to splice the output from the DVD player.

Yes this can be done, however operating the rear screens in terms of colors and AV channel is not possible, but you can play DVD and whatnot to the rear and control that (pause, forward, rewind etc. obviously).

You can also get the rear entertainment flipdown screen as an alternative

I have two little kids and they love the screen above. You can tilt it in about 4 different levels to get right angle depending how tall kids are or car seat height. I would prefer to have the LX set up that can play 2 different movies so each kid is happy! Lol

...via IH8MUD app
'13 LC & '14 4R Trail

You can also play movies independently on each screen and/or mirror the front screen to the rears...so at one given point you can have 3 different movies playing

I have the single flip down screen on my 08 LX and while its good for the kids on long road trips - its a PITA as it almost completely blocks the rear view mirror.

I would say buying 2 tablets and strapping them onto the headrests is a far better solution (and probably cheaper) than installing DVD players in the headrests. On my last road trip the DVD player saw little use as each kid had their own ipad with their own movies, songs, games, apps etc.

Last edited:
Or you could get them their own ipads.

This sound lame, but true fact. I have LC200 with console DVD, but all 3 kids have iPad's, DS so each have own device with a screen . I use my iPhone as a hotspot for WiFi so works well for me. So what I am saying console DVD and headrest screens are the toys from the past. Wish that my LC200 have build in satellite system for faster WiFi

dont forget ipads and tablets will always need a recharge, will be a problem on longer trips. OEM looking headrests will set you back approx 300 a pop, i would suggest you look into rosen headrests, no issues 3+ years so far

I second the iPad route. I bought a couple of mounts that attach to the head rest and the kids love it for long trips. I hardly ever use the drop down screen, just because I have to constantly change the dvd up front. That being said, if you are determined to use the internal dvd, like alwaysme said, you can buy head rests that already have the screen built in. This can be connected to the head unit so you can play movies on the head rests. I would also recommend looking into an entertainment integration system, which would allow you to use multiple video sources.
I would say put the money you would spend on installing head rest monitors into a couple iPads and mounts.

I had the dual headrests on my previous sequoia. They were dealer installed and matched exactly. They were nice. I don't like the single drop down on my 200 but live with it. Is it legal to block so much of the rear view!? I've forced my kids to agree on a DVD or not watch anything. At this point my kids will have their personal devices soon so I wouldn't invest in headrests.

...via IH8MUD app

Here's another attachable option

20120320160402_1.jpg

20120320160402_2.jpg

I prefer this though
p1.jpg

What are the specs brand etc on the one you prefer and why?

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom