Rear disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to do a disc brake conversion on my 79 fj40, I would like some input on what you guy's have used and recommend. I have looked at TSM and JT Outfitters system's but I would like to know who is happy with what they have got. Thanks for any info. :beer:

I used Cardinal Fang brackets (no longer available, but the diagrams are in the tech section) with machined chevy rotors and monte carlo calipers. Add in a Summit proportioning valve and it would be very streetable, but it works fine on road now and great offroad.

IMO, the purchased kits are bucko bucks for what outta be a $250 project.

Yeah, search the tech links here and gather a parts list. Go to a junk yard or auto parts store and get all the parts you need. Get the rotors machined to fit the rear axle and put it all together. Save yourself some money and gather the parts yourself. Good luck!

One of the best upgrades I've done.  
You'll love disc brakes.  
Take the drawing off the tech section to a place that does water cutting and get them to make the brackets for you.  Even if you just buy the brackets somewhere and source all the other parts it'll cost you a fraction of any of the "kits" available.  

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you guys just saved me some money. One more question. Are the brackets that you can buy through JT good enough to use or should I have some one make them using the templet posted in the tech section? Thanks again :banana:

IIRC, JT simply "duped" the Cardinal Fang bracket....and also IIRC, there might be some "bad blood" mixed into that as well....

so yes, the JT is an exact duplicate....

can I do the same thing for my fronts? switch them from drums to disks just by getting the brackets and out-sourcing the calipers, pads, etc?

Straylight.

Now front disc brakes

You can get later model land cruiser knuckles, and swap the knuckles on out onto your drum brakes, as long as they are birfiels, and not the eaaarly cup and ball joint. Minitruck knuckles and fj60 knuckles will work as well, and get you a bigger, stronger birfield and steering arm bolt pattern...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom