Rear Caliper Slide Cylinder Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 06' GX with a little over 150k miles. I started hearing some squealing from the back right and narrowed it down to the brakes. I changed the fronts a few weeks ago without any issues with EBC green stuff pads and rotors (happy so far). The pads on the right were almost bare and the rear left had about 3mm or so left. The rotors were a little shabby so I changed them out as well also with EBC green stuff pads and rotos. The left came off without any issues and everything bolted up nicely. The right came off easily as well but when I went to put the slide pins back in, the top slide cylinder pushed out the rubber grommet and twisted. It was considerably harder to put in as opposed to the left side and it felt harder to move. In hindsight, the right pins were harder to pull out and I wonder if they were somewhat seized.
a1_473312A.jpg
I presume that's why the rear right pads were so much more worn than the left side. That in mind, can I just change the slide cylinder and new slide pins (~$40 total) or is the recommendation to just buy the new caliper from Lexus (~$200). Also, I noticed the rear left caliper had already been replaced, not sure if that factors into it, but my GX is my daily and I don't want to put too many miles on it if I need to change a single brake.

In the Pic, the pin I'm referring to is 47715C and the slide cylinder is 47769A

@GXOutlaw , welcome to the forum!

I don't have a good answer for you, but I do have some more data.

It's mentioned a lot on here that the stock calipers have a tendency to seize up at higher mileage.

I'm now wondering if it's most prone to happen on the right side for some reason.

My data:

1. Just bought an 06 with 135k on it
2. The passenger side tires were both significantly more worn than the driver side.
3. My right rear caliper is also seizing ( right rear wheel is HOT after driving, so I am not driving).

This must have been going on for so long from my PO that it wore the tires unevenly. Had to be several thousand miles based on tire wear.

Btw - Rockauto has Centric (OEM) reman calipers with pads for $115 for the rear pair (assuming you return cores)

I have the same problem with my driver's side rear. The inside pad is always way more worn. I replaced my pins and that did not solve the issue. Made it better, but the inside pad is still more worn and wears out in 6-8 months. Maybe replacing the cylinder and pins would do the trick.

EA08A840-0671-4D12-93CE-32340FF8B69C.jpeg
431BD885-49E9-42C4-AD06-D3C86DFF2AB3.jpeg

Conveniently Lexus has a 15% off sale through select dealers so replacement pins, and boots were a collective $10. Replacement was easy. I pulled out the bottom boot out with ease and the boot was kinked with a little hole, which explains the lack of grease on that pin. I used the back end of a drill bit and put some antiseize around the outside of the new boot to get it to slide better, and it went in fairly easily. As for the top, its 2 separate pieces that both snap into place without much issue. I put the lithium grease in each tube, put the caliper back on and bolted to 65 ft-lbs. the bolts still didn't slide in nearly as easily as the left side did/does. In particular its the lower pin. I still need to get a brake fluid flush but Either way, its fixed for now. Next brake change I think I’m going to get new calipers but hopefully thats many many miles down the road.

In hindsight i should have taken a wire brush to the inside of the lower tube, maybe that would have opened up the diameter enough to get the pin to slide better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom