Rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who makes the highest clearance rear bumper? From the looks of things it appears to be Dissent but I am simply eye balling photos on the internet. Some of the options don't appear to gain much of anything over the factory plastics.

I think RLC is slightly higher at the wheel wells but not by much. At the back of the truck the clearance is the same - on the dissent the wings and frame stiffeners are bolted to the bottom of the frame. Not much room to go tighter lol.

Yeah I think there is a limit to how much the departure angle can change, dictated by the rear frame crossmember. The super-popular 4x4 labs version for the 80 requires cutting this part out along with the ends of the frame rails, which gains a bunch of angle. But also compromises the frame, IMO. I wouldn’t want to do this on a 200.

Search here for bumper chop. That is as good as it’s going to get without frame mods but DYI or custom fab shop.

Search here for bumper chop. That is as good as it’s going to get without frame mods but DYI or custom fab shop.

Yea, I figured as much. I am leaning towards Dissent for the rear, just have that sticker shock when I start to add it all up lol.

Yea, I figured as much. I am leaning towards Dissent for the rear, just have that sticker shock when I start to add it all up lol.

Not to mention the swing outs and install price. It'll be like $6K :oops:

Egg-Zachary, all to essentially carry your spare, wild!

If I ever do a rear bumper it’ll be a kaymar.

the install isn't that bad if you want to go DYI. I did it so the skills bar is really really low. Plenty of info here and by talking to Dissent to get it done your self if you have the time.

Reactions: KLF
If I ever do a rear bumper it’ll be a kaymar.

I really like the simplicity of these, but have seen them get crumpled like tin foil? No wing support on those. Would be an expensive do-over.

I really like the simplicity of these, but have seen them get crumpled like tin foil? No wing support on those. Would be an expensive do-over.

Should have added for context I’m still doing fine with just a couple big scrapes on the stock Tupperware and have no plans to abuse things like that. I probably wouldn’t even run the swing outs..

Plus I thought there was some kind of wing support, based on long ago reading about difficulty making that work with the AHC pump?

Should have added for context I’m still doing fine with just a couple big scrapes on the stock Tupperware and have no plans to abuse things like that. I probably wouldn’t even run the swing outs..

Plus I thought there was some kind of wing support, based on long ago reading about difficulty making that work with the AHC pump?

I should clarify too—there is wing support. It's a single bracket between the wheel well part of the wing that goes to the frame—this is the part that interferes with AHC pump. On the Dissent, Slee and maybe RLC, the wing brackets wrap around the bottom of the frame that cannot move up or back in a hit. This is why there is such carnage on that Kaymar. The ARB swing out and non-swingout bumpers have the same mounting limitation.

The Dissent rear is high clearance, until you mount your spare under a 12.5 LRA aux tank. So plan on at least one swing out, or put the spare in the cargo area during wheeling. Install is easy.

52726755403_4c5ff6811e_c.jpg

I should clarify too—there is wing support. It's a single bracket between the wheel well part of the wing that goes to the frame—this is the part that interferes with AHC pump. On the Dissent, Slee and maybe RLC, the wing brackets wrap around the bottom of the frame that cannot move up or back in a hit. This is why there is such carnage on that Kaymar. The ARB swing out and non-swingout bumpers have the same mounting limitation.
Thanks for the detail.

The Kaymar also isn’t what I’d consider cheap at all.. but for my needs it fits the bill better than most.

Rlc wing bracket bolts thru the frame, but is on side of frame only. It has a fairly large pad/frame contact.on side of frame only.

Thanks for the detail.

The Kaymar also isn’t what I’d consider cheap at all.. but for my needs it fits the bill better than most.
Asfir makes something like the Kaymar. Not seen one installed anywhere yet. Seems more decorative than anything by weight, but appears to look similar to the Kaymar. I can't find any pictures of one installed, but i didn't look that hard. Says 2mm steel.

558041-1.webp

The asfir and kaymar seem like better departure angles but really no better protection than stock Tupperware. If you’re mostly playing in the desert or light forest trails they’d probably both be fine. If you come down on a rock the few photos I’ve seen show they will give more than the remaining Tupperware appreciates

I've observed first hand that the Kaymar 200 series rear bumper doesn't handle hard contact vert well. It was recently replaced with a Dissent.

I noticed that LRA will be suppling bumpers. No pictures of them yet but they are listed on their website.

Trail tailor is another option you have for rear bumpers that are stout. I'm very happy with mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom