Rear axle seals replacement with ARB?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, I have searched until I'm blue in the face and can't find anything specific about replacing the rear axle seals and having an ARB air locker in my '84 FJ60.

I think I've read just about everything I can find about replacing the seals, but what should I look out for (if anything) related to the ARB? Am I going to have to remove the 3rd to get the axles out? Anyone have any personal experience with this? :cheers:

Here's the ARB installing instructions...

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/ARB-RD08.pdf

Start at the end and work backwards, stopping short of pulling the entire third. After you pull the axles, the seal is right there smiling at you.

Holler back if you get stuck.

I have done this a bunch of times. To remove the 3rd member, the axles must be pulled out of the side gears. That is the bottom line.

Once the axles are out, replacing the seal is a trivial job.

To put in an airlocker in your truck, the 3rd has to come out, so by definition, the axle shafts must come out first. Disassemble the first time and you will understand perfectly.

Are you asking if you have to remove the thrid member if you only want to replace the rear axle seals? The answer is no. You need to remove the rear diff cover and dissassemble the differential enough to get at the c-clips (remove the cross pin and the block, maybe some other stuff). Once you can remove the c-clips you can pull out the axles to get at the seals.

Sorry for the poorly phrased question. CD and 2mbb, thanks for the answers, I didn't know what I was going to run into having a ARB in the diff, but needing to replace the seals. Now I know what's going on.

username? - thanks, I need to print that info off!

THANKS, FELLAS! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom