Rear Axle Disassembly BJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good move on rebuilding whatever is going back in.

This is always the fatal flaw with used parts.

Fresh differential 30+ years after global use and abuse is such a good call.

The differential that is going back in has not been rebuilt, per se. It was a takeoff from another 70 series with 100k km, but we'll rebuild/replace the other junk when we put it back together. The diff assy itself will remain as it was. Let's see what happens. The truck gets so little use (ca 500 mi / year) and I do not drive it in winter, wheel it, or abuse it, so I am assuming this setup is going to be perfectly good. But famous last words? :) Maybe

Hey folks,

For time, cost, and satisfaction reasons, I am going to reinstall these parts myself.

I have all new rear brake drums, shoes, cylinders, and rebuild kit on hand. I also will replace the rear bearings.

I have most of the standard tools on hand, but I don't have any specific wheel bearing tools.

Can anyone recommend a wheel bearing kit of any kind? I watched a youtube video on rear bearing replacement on a 70 series with disc brakes (). He did not appear to use any specific wheel bearing tools.

My questions:

1. Do I need any specific wheel bearing tools? I do not own a press or any bearing tools.
2. Anything else for these services?

Hey folks,

For time, cost, and satisfaction reasons, I am going to reinstall these parts myself.

I have all new rear brake drums, shoes, cylinders, and rebuild kit on hand. I also will replace the rear bearings.

I have most of the standard tools on hand, but I don't have any specific wheel bearing tools.

Can anyone recommend a wheel bearing kit of any kind? I watched a youtube video on rear bearing replacement on a 70 series with disc brakes (). He did not appear to use any specific wheel bearing tools.

My questions:

1. Do I need any specific wheel bearing tools? I do not own a press or any bearing tools.
2. Anything else for these services?

We stock all of the bearing/seal kits for the 7x Series @ Cruiser Outfitters. I may have missed it but what year & model is your Cruiser?

1. You'll want the FF hub socket and then standard punches/drifts.

I tore all that stuff apart on my BJ74 this weekend.
I bought the bearing locknut tool Kurt mentioned and it works well.
I used a 6 inch length of 1/2” diam brass rod as a drift to remove hub bearing races.
Lug studs were pounded with a 5 pound hammer to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom