Realtime Help Needed: Bleeding P/S System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

Need Help here.

If anyone of you already done sort of bleeding off air in your power steering system, kindly share your step by step procedure. Just replaced my P/S pump but unfortunately, i did not feel any improvement on my steering system. It is still hard to turn. Also, noticed that the fluid that i put into the reservoir turned like milky after a few minutes of running the engine. Why is it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

gado

Fluid turning slightly milky while you are bleeding the systems is quite normal, If it's more like a milkshake (ie large amounts of small bubbles suspended in it) then you may have a problem.

To bleed your system just fill the reserviour, jack both front wheels up and turn the wheel from lock to lock at a steady pace (with the engine running), whilst keeping an eye on the level. Check the level after an hour or so of driving as it can take quite some time to get all the air out, also check the condition of the oil the milkiness should clear up.

As for your steering still being hard it is probably the piston seals in your box, a pressure test will confirm this, which is what you should of done before replacing the pump. It could possibly be a siezed steering knuckle bearing, to check this pull off your steering linkage at the number 1 ball joint (the joint on the end of your pitman arm) and check that the wheels turn freely without the steering box attached.

With the front wheels jacked up and the engine not running , does steering wheel turn easy from lock to lock?
Vic

Gentlemen,

Just did what you guys told me in the thread. But, it doesn't look i was successful in bleeding the system. The fluid is still milky in color (thought no more bubbles was observed). Did turning the the steering wheel lock to lock for at least 100 times (Almost an hour) while engine is idling. After almost an hour of doing it, i finally decide to stop the engine to sit for 3-5 mins. Lowered the truck, start the engine and tried turning the wheels again. I noticed that there is no improvement. It's still hard to turn.

Any other things to look into?

Need your help bros.

Cheers!

gado

As I said, it's probably the seals on your power piston in your steering box, a pressure test will confirm this which is what you should of done first time round, you could of saved yourself the cost of a new pump.

Well, yes i did turn the steering lock to lock about 40 times before doing it again but this time with the engine running. Still, the fluid did not change color. It is still milky.

Leave the fluid to sit overnight and then check it. If it is still milky after that it's probably contaminated.

What P/S system is it, I've just assumed you have the genuine setup?

MIne is a combination of saginaw box and the pump is out of a Nissan Pick-up truck.

Is the reservoir mounted ontop of the pump or is it remotely located and feeding to the pump through a hose?

MIne is a combination of saginaw box and the pump is out of a Nissan Pick-up truck.

How do you know these are compatable? I have always used the box and pump from the same donor vehicle and have never had the problems you describe.

I fill the pump, turn lock to lock 2-3 times not running on jackstands, lower start it up and turn lock to lock 2-3 more times all the while keeping the pump filled. All done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom